Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is paper piecing >

What is paper piecing

What is paper piecing

Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 AM

I would like to know what is paper piecing? I was standing in line and a very kind lady told me that she does paper piecing and if I ever tried it I would love it. Before I could ask any questions it was her turn to pay. So I would like to find out more information about paper piecing? Can anyone help me?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Google Carol Doak. She's an excellent PP teacher and quilter. Her DVD on how to paper piece is the best I've seen.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 AM

Paper piecing is not for everyone - no one method is. Some people just love it, and others (like me) just end up frustrated and wasting fabric.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 AM

Thank you I knew that someone here could help me out. You guys are the best. I want to learn as much as I can about quilting as I can. We bring one gift to our family Christmas party and I want to bring a quilt next year. So keep me in your prayers.Remember I newbie,I know that I have a great group of people here that are willing to help. You all are a blessing to me.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

If you want to try paper piecing and you get stuck, we will help you with any questions or problems :D:D:D
Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

The first time i tried paper piecing i hated it! made this block that turned out ok but wasted so much fabric, boy, was i disillusioned. one fat quarter was actually wasted completely, couldn't even see any of it in the finshed block...
then i found Carol Doak, learned a little bit, do not waste hardly any fabric and LOVE the preciseness and the process of paper piecing. as with any 'new' technique, give it a try (and maybe not just one try). as we grow in our quilting you will find a technique you don't like or don't have any interest in today will wind up being one of your favorites next year...kind of funny how that seems to work, it's like that piece of fabric you bought 3 years ago, and just cant' seem to use, suddenly becomes the perfect piece....
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 AM

I am conern that it is over my head. Somtime I have to see how to do it before I can do it. I have 10 day off comming. We will see.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 AM

I LOVE paper piecing even though it takes tons of fabric and removing the paper is a pain. On second thought, maybe I only like it (I just reminded myself of the down side of paper piecing!) I would never do a big project - I've only done small wall hangings.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM

I love paper piecing, I love the precision and perfect points it creates.

It *can* be a wasteful method, but if you're prepared for it to take a little longer than normal it won't waste a single scrap. Simply cut out each piece as if you were going to rotary cut and piece normally, and use those on your block. You have to make sure you have them lined up correctly each time, and pay a little more attention than if you use huge bits, but it's worth it.