Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What pattern is this?

What pattern is this?

This looks very simple to do but was wondering if there is a name for this type of block. I am not sure how big to make the strips and squares.
    any info would be helpful as my friend is a beginner and this is the pattern she chose to attempt.
    Thanks in advance for the help
    Amy

Name:  roncos quilt.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  178.3 KB

Blog Entries
    *** It is pretty, but I cannot help.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I don't know what size the original poster made her blocks and photos don't always tell you. This block would work very nicely with 2 1/2" strips. Cut the large square 6 1/2", cut a 2 1/2" orange and a navy square, one 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" navy strip, two 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" orange strips and one 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" navy strip to have a 10 1/2" block (10" finished). Use 2 1/2" sashing between the blocks.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    Option "B". My viewer allows custom zooming. I zoomed in until the small orange square in the block in the bottom row (with the helmet) measured 1" on my monitor. It was easy to figure the rest. The orange and grey strips are 1" (cut 1.5") and the team squares finish at 3" (cut 3.5) this gives you a 5" finished block.
    You need to look at your focus fabric to decide if the 10" size, as detailed by Shelby will work, or the more petite 5" size would be better. Options are always nice!!!!
    In either case, the sashing is cut the same size as the strips, so either 2.5 or 1.5, finishing at 2" or 1".
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    looks sort of like a BQ by mapleislandsquilts.com

I have seen something like this as one of the disappearing "9 patch" type patterns, but, of course, I can't remember where. I think you have to cut and sew it twice.

This pattern is called D9P with sashing; the sashing is sewn in between the squares.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

The Pretty in Pink pattern is very similar, here's a blog with a quilt-a-long using that pattern (part two is on a link at the bottom of the page):

https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com...-along-part-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    I don't know what size the original poster made her blocks and photos don't always tell you. This block would work very nicely with 2 1/2" strips. Cut the large square 6 1/2", cut a 2 1/2" orange and a navy square, one 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" navy strip, two 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" orange strips and one 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" navy strip to have a 10 1/2" block (10" finished). Use 2 1/2" sashing between the blocks.

For a beginner's quilt, I think I would go with Shelbie's advise.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    This pattern is called D9P with sashing; the sashing is sewn in between the squares.
    Maniac Quilter nailed it. You make a 9-patch with sashing. Add the sashing to the blocks in each row and then put sashing between the rows. Cut your 9-patch into four patches and do with them as you will. This pattern has them put together with more sashing, but in a different color. You could find many ways to put those blocks into a cute pattern.

With this fabric, you would have to lay the pieces right side up and wrong side up to get them all to be right side up in the finished quilt ! ! ! !
    Last edited by maviskw; 12-15-2015 at 10:19 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I do not know but I like it.

Don't know the name, but it's a great design idea for a team quilt. Going to 'pin' it!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

This looks similar to the big block that I saw of "Sewing with Nancy". Yours had sashing and a different size but the arrangement is the same. I have made a couple of these and they are fun. I have fabric picked out for another one.
    I Googled Sewing With Nancy big blocks and found the 2 part episode with Debbie Bowles you can watch online about how to make this quilt.

http://video.wpt.org/video/2365057122/

http://video.wpt.org/video/2365063804/

I agree with Shelbie. The reason I don't think it's a D9P is that the solid strip (some blocks orange and some blocks navy) has no seam....see the closeup. I love this quilt. The positive and negative blocks are cool.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Nope...not a D9P. My first thought also was that it was a Sashed D9P. But y'all are correct, the seaming is not right. A Sashed D9P would give a similar look if you want an easy beginner pattern.
    Thimble and Thread

Looks like BQ2 by Maple Island Quilts - quick and fairly easy quilt.

Missouri Star Tutorials, Window Pane quilt. Same idea without the sashing between block. I am making one right now for my daughter.

Look on MSQ Tutorials. Window Pane quilt. Same idea but without the sashing between blocks. I am doing one right now for my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I agree with Shelbie. The reason I don't think it's a D9P is that the solid strip (some blocks orange and some blocks navy) has no seam....see the closeup. I love this quilt. The positive and negative blocks are cool.
    The original 9-patch was made with four print blocks and five blocks of a solid: half of the blocks were made with five navy solid and half have five orange solid. After these are sewn with sashing (orange sashing on the navy blocks and navy sashing on the orange blocks), they are cut into four pieces, therefore you have the print with sashing on two sides (orange or navy), and orange or navy pieces that came from the solid blocks of the original sashed 9-patch.
    I hope this can be visualized with my explanation.
    The solid strip you see is from the sashing that was put on to sew the three rows of cut 9-patch blocks together.
    Last edited by maviskw; 12-17-2015 at 06:32 AM.

I think I found it. It's called Topiary Tiles and it's a free pattern on Craftsy.
    http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...ry-tiles/14264

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...ry-tiles/14264

Looks like the one! In order for that to be called a D9patch, you would need to find four blocks that have the same corner square, the same sashing and some matching side rectangles. I couldn't find any, so it must have been constructed in separate pieces. It works!
    Last edited by maviskw; 12-19-2015 at 06:28 AM.