Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a project for today.... >

What a project for today....

What a project for today....

Old 12-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Cut a piece of fabric a couple inches longer and wider than the scalloped section. Pin the right side of the facing to the top of the quilt, letting the facing extend a half inch or so past the tips of the scallops. Working from the back of the quilt stitch a quarter inch from the edge of the scallops. Use a short stitch length, and pivot at the points. Start stitching about an inch before the first scallop, and end about an inch past the last one.
Now cut the facing to follow the raw edge of the scallops. The next step is grading the seam so it will turn and lay flat. Make sure that you don't cut the stitching. Using small scissors, try and cut the batting in the seam allowance out. Clip the tips off the pointy scallops and cut small Vs out around the rounded ones. The only thing that I can relate to is facing a collar in garment construction. This you tube video shows making collars with pointy ends and rounded ones and demonstrates both cutting off the pointy tips and cutting Vs in curved areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1x76OceMo
At the base of the scallops, just make a single clip in the V down to the stitch line thru all layers, like in the binding video. You will have to do this on the outside scallops where they meet the straight part of the edge.
You can cut a big, long facing piece for the whole side of the quilt, but I personally would work piecemeal, cutting small sections for the scalloped areas, then joining straight pieces for the straight section.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:59 PM

Thanks, PP. Finally got smart enough to make a sample!! Also, I cut the binding to 2 1/4" and that makes for a much more "handle-able" strip. The I reviewed Marci Baker's tutorials and hear the words "pivot points" a lot! So I've pinned and glued my sample and tomorrow (if I can wait that long!) I will baste sew it to the back! Thank you all for the encouragement and help!!
Hopefully a picture tomorrow!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:05 PM
mim

I turned under each piece and whip stitched (blind stitched) when I did my double wedding ring quilt. I thought a binding would take away from he design.

Mim
Old 12-28-2016, 06:17 AM

Wow! way above my level of expertise!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe...&feature=share

Here is another video for future reference. She did Grandmother's Flower Garden, but all her tips would work for arcs and scalloped edges. Just remember to clip the curves instead of cutting off the tips of the points. I am keeping this for later too!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:12 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This should work very well!! I googled for "facing" a quilt but did not see Marci's! Wish there was a printable tutorial, but I can see I'll need to make another sampler and I'm excited to try it!

She actually did cut off her "tips" and I will take the time to "grade" the quilt edges before I turn it. Again, thank you!!
Old 12-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Update to "What a project..."

Using Marci Baker's tutorial that soccertxi sent us the link to I will be able to do this! The quilt won't have the look of binding but it should suit the purpose just fine!
Again, its amazing what help we are able to give each other!

Here are pictures of the back and front of my sample. (I should make the facing wider so it will have more to turn to the back)

The first picture is a view from the back of it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564491[/ATTACH]

And the front: The blades on mine are patterned fabric so should look really nice!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564493[/ATTACH]

So maybe not for the new year (I'm grading the batt and backing, too) But maybe Happy Valentines!

Thanks everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails back-side.gif   front-side.gif   dres-better-front.gif  

Last edited by Kitsie; 12-28-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: better picture
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
What if you made a facing for those difficult areas?
I agree with Misty's Mom..it would be a neat clean edge and less time to finish. If you want to highlight the edge, you could insert a false cording or a flange in the outer seam.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
That is going to be spectacular!
Here are my favorite odd angle binding tutorials:
Inside angles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGNcDoI-R8
Outside Angles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vci9-li3aYU
Definitely putting these on my list of great videos - thank you for posting them.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:04 AM

You have gotten good advice. Use bias binding and work slowly using a 1/4" seam. Pin the daylights out of the seam and clip CAREFULLY to bend to the edges. Do not cut into the seam allowance. When you have clipped and sewn, you may want to sewn a second seam for reinforcement. I did this on a scalloped edge dogwood quilt. I remember being scared to cut into the quilt, but after a few minutes, the fear went away. Another note, I would try to do this at one sitting so you will stay in a rhythm. Please post again so we can see the lovely, challenging result.