Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to quilt? >

What to quilt?

What to quilt?

Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Default What to quilt?

I'm taking my first EVER quilt top in tomorrow to get it professionally quilted (!). It's the sampled produced from the classes I took last year. The wonderful woman there asked me today what I would like to have done on it. I'm on a budget and she says she has a few ideas. What do you think I should have done? It measures 60x75". Thanks for ALL your info!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your finished top. I bet that felt good. I think if you could post a picture, we could give more input. Questions I have: How big are the blocks? how busy are the fabrics? Is there sashing? What kind of border do you have?

If the fabric is busy and/or you have a lot of different colors. it may be a good idea to have an overall edge to edge design. If there is sashing, it may be nice to have a rope or something like that in the sashing to set off the blocks and then have a design inside the blocks. Lots of options.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Power Poster

Most long arm quilters charge more for custom quilting. Have her explain the difference between an all over pattern, computer guided pattern and hand guided custom quilting and the prices for each. This may help you decide what you want done.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 AM

If cost is an issue, you do not want custom quilting. An overall panto or meander will be less expensive and still look good. Your LA should have some samples for you to look at and help with suggestions
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

She should be able to suggest as others have said a panto which is a pattern that repeats itself across the quilt. Just explained that you are on a budget and she should be understanding. Out here in my area, most LAQ that I know charge a penny per square inch for quilting services.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Congrats! on your first! photos always help in consults with the QB.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 AM

Yes, I was planning on posting a picture but for some reason couldn't do it last night. I'm hoping to post one today. Please keep me in mind and thank you so much for all your wonderful suggestions!
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM

Here is the pic:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...UU4MF85QmZneGM
Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Beautiful quilt--love the colors. I would go with a fairly simple pattern. Your longarmer will have some suggestions and will probably offer good advise especially if she wants your business again.
Sue
Old 02-02-2016, 11:59 AM

Thank you Sue! When you say fairly simple pattern, what do you mean?