Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats? >

♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats?

♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Went to a quilt fest in Tenn. this past March. Took a hand quilting class from Cindy Blackberg and a class from Bonnie Hunter. Bonnie is a wonderful instructor and would reccommend her to anyone from beginning to advance.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 AM

I spent a lot of time doing free quilt Saturdays where you work on what you want with a teacher to help. I have done a couple of BOM samplers where you actually take a class about how to do the blocks and I learned a lot of techniques doing that. I have also done classes with Freddy Moran, a couple of fmq classes, Reynola Pakusich's Overlapping Circle Play, Mary Lou Weidman shadow play. A Christmas tree skirt with wedges, a nickle quilt and others I can't remember. I always look to learn a new technique when I take a class.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by dewie45
I am fortunate to live in the town where the state guild holds it's annual Indiana Heritage Quilt Show. I'm not sure that I can remember all of the names but a few of the teachers were Mary Ellen Hopkins, Margaret J Miller, Libby Leyman, Sarah Nephew, and, and, see I knew I wouldn't remember all the names. Anyway, she's from Penn. and she taught hand applique that's done with heat resistant mylar templates and sizing. She sells those perfect circles, and her her first and last name begin with the same letter. I can remember a lot about her except, of course, her NAME!
Thank you Retired Quilter, you named her. I guess it was her first and middle names that started with the same letter.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Does this include the things I learned at my mothers knee in a farm house with a dozen aunts and neighbor women all talking at the same tine.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
What classes have you taken? Also have you taken any classes from the famous teachers?
Even though I live "way up north", we have a very active quilt guild and I have been lucky enough to take classes from: Nancy Bergman, Bonnie Hunter, Pam Holland, Kim Cooke, Annie Smith, Marilyn Weibe, Anna Hergert, Brenda Henning. And those are the ones I remember. I enjoy taking workshops, even though quilt patterns are very detailed, each 'teacher' has her own tips and tricks.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 AM

I don't take a lot of classes. I am mostly self taught. I am taking a class in a few weeks from Jennie Rayment. I can't wait. I am thinking about doing a BOM for a Baltimore Album. I figure it is the only way I will keep myself on track with it. I have always wanted to make one.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 AM

I have never taken a class on sewing, quilting, knitting or crocheting. I bought "Learn How" books and "Quilting 101". I am a self teacher. The board and other sites have helped me a great deal with their tips, etc. The tv shows have helped too. Once you learn to read the instructions, it is not that hard to make something. I love my hobbies. Take care, Mary
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 AM

I have taken many classes at the LQS, Texas Our Texas quilt, others that I can't remember. I have also taken classes at quilt shows (handpiecing, EQ6, applique). Also taken classes on cruises. I starting a class in September in McKiney, TX on Women of the Bible quilt. I also have taught classes at the LQS.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 AM

I have taken classes from Mariann Fons and Harriet Hargraves both were fun. My LQS has a lot of classes. The teachers are very good. My favorite is the lady that does my LAQ.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I have never taken a class of any kind. Learned all I know from books and magazines and sites like this.
Ditto!!!!