Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting/sewing notion are you most Thankful to have been invented? >

What quilting/sewing notion are you most Thankful to have been invented?

What quilting/sewing notion are you most Thankful to have been invented?

Old 11-24-2020, 06:08 AM

The rotary cutter. I remember back in the 90's cutting all my pieces for my 1st quilt with scissors. Now with arthritis in both hands, that just wouldn't be possible or be very painful to do. The rotating mat is my next favorite.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:51 AM

So many inventions that I appreciate I'll rate them 1-5 or 10 1 being the best
1 sewing machine
2 rotary cutters, mats, all the rulers
3 sewing and cutting tables
4 various pins/wonder clips
5 auto shutoff iron
6 ott lights
7 on line quilt groups (read: Quilting Board )
Old 11-24-2020, 07:07 AM

Definitely the rotary cutter...we used templates and scissors in Home Economics and then I started quilting again 10 years ago and was amazed that I had no know idea that the rotary cutter existed...or the die cutting machines that are out there now. Can you imagine cutting all those sunbonnet sues out by hand?
Old 11-24-2020, 07:24 AM

It has to be the Rotary cutter and self healing mat! With out a doubt I was able to learn to quilt when these tool becaue available. I was terrible at cutting straight pieces from templates and thrived with the rotary cutter. Now Accuquilt has sped me along more complicated designs.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:08 AM

Beyond the sewing machine, it would have to be the domestic cutting mat and rotary cutter. I received my first of these as a gift in the early 1990s. I thought the mat seemed small compared to my regular cutting board. Little did I know, it was huge for a pre-made mat. I am sure the giver realized I would not fully appreciate the gift until I tried it. I will never forget the twinkle in her eye.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I consider the rotary cutter, mat, and rulers to be as basic as scissors, not special items. I am grateful for the Accuquilt machine and dies. I can't wait to see what other new items are invented for quilters.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:03 AM

1. Sewing machine - I've done some projects by hand, like a puff quilt (AKA biscuit quilt) pillow (in the 1980s), but I can't imagine sewing garments or quilts by hand.
2. Rotary cutter and mat - I learned to quilt around 1990 and cut out plastic templates, traced them onto fabric, and the cut the fabric with scissors.
3. Slotted cutting ruler - This has significantly sped up my cutting and increased my accuracy. I am loving it!
4. LED light strip for my sewing machine - it's so nice to have bright light where I need it.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 AM

I also started before the rotary revolution. You need all three things: cutter, mat, and ruler(s).

Now, I had figured out I could buy gridded desk blotter pads and draw out cutting lines and cut through multiple layers of fabric at a time by pinning the open spots. They were a perfect width for folded fabric too! But then the terrible scissors I had came to play, good scissors are every bit as necessary as the sewing machine.

Anyway, if I had to pick the quilting notion I've spent the most time with, it would definitely be the seam ripper!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:12 AM

My list.
1. Rotary cutter, Matt and rulers (including squaring rulers)
2. accu cutter
3. Long arm quilting machines ( my #1 item) and all of their gadgets I can now complete a quilt start to finish in under a week. Such a time and money saver.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 AM

I'll also add fusible webbing for machine applique. I love that stuff! LED lights on sewing machines too. ​​​​Slotted rulers like the Stripology ruler.