Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter? >

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
if you take a quilt to her, and she gives you a certain date and you are firm on it, and she agrees, and then she is still late, I would tell her that you are deducting a certain amount of $ every day she is late. I have a feeling she will make sure she makes that date. Money talks!
Liquidated damages---good idea. I was secretary/bookkeeper for a construction company. If they didn't complete a job by the contracted date, they had $1000 deducted from the contracted price for each day they went past the contracted date to complete the job. I hadn't thought about applying this to quilting.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM

Years ago when I did quilting for others, I would quilt them in order of arrival. So turnaround time varied according to how many quilts I had on my shelves. It sounds to me like she is overwhelmed with quantity. Talk to her about it.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM

I am very glad I have a good relationship with my LA.I will say that taking a quilt and asking her to have it ready in 2 weeks is very inconsiderate.I always call mine and we talk about when I want them.Sometimes I have to budget myself for them and then at holiday times and not just Christmas but also graduation etc,they are usually very busy.
Thanks Ann for all you do for me.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM

I sounds like you need to decide which is more important to you-saving money with this lady, or switching to another longarmer who may charge more with a better turnaround time. A lady in our guild found someone in Montana who returned her quilt in two weeks, and that was with shipping up and back from IL. So, every LA is different. Find someone you can communicate with that you like and stick with them.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I would give her a FIRM date, then give her a call a week before that date and let her know you will be by to pick up the quilt on that day.