Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what scissors do you like >

what scissors do you like

what scissors do you like

Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 AM

I use Wiss and Mundial. I have 2 pairs for cutting fabric (one for lightweight fabric and the other is for heavier fabrics), a several pairs for snipping thread and another pair that is general purpose. None of them ever touch paper. I have 2 pairs of pinking shears now. And a rotary cutter.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mamaw
Ginghers are the way to go! You won't be sorry.
What she said. Dressmaking shears (7 or 8 inch?) are a good first pair size for a beginning sewer. My Ginghers were given their first resharpening after 18 years this last year. I can't argue with that kind of service.

I was looking at my "hardware" and realized my hubby has gifted me with several different pairs of ginghers over the last 15 years. At my house, that says something. He believes quality tools make quality products. Of course, that might explain those woodworking tools in the garage...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Ginghers dressmaker shears -- received them from Minnestota Fabrics as a Christmas gift back in 1979 when I was employed there. I still use them and absolutely LOVE them!!! I've only had them sharpened one time, and that was simply because my ex was taking a load of knives to have them all sharpened and asked if I had any scissors I wanted him to take along.

I have a pair of Marks pinking shears that I use to cut the edge of my fabrics to keep them from fraying before I put them in the washing machine. They are also from back-in-the-day at Minn Fab. It is very easy for me to tell if I have washed the fabric -- just look for the pinked edge.

For embroidery scissors I use Mundial, and for snipping threads I use Fiskars. Gee, that's quite an assortment isn't it? :roll:
Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM

I'm another Gingher lover!

For "general purpose/scrapping/crafting," I'd go with the 5". The blade is still a reasonable length, and I find the fingers to be more comfortable than my 4" ones.

If she doesn't need the longer blade, I wouldn't go with the 8". They are heavier, and don't get into tight spots as well as a smaller scissor. Love my 8" for fabric, though.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:01 AM

I love my Gingher. I used a gift card from Christmas and the 40% off.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

I really dislike Ginghers; Fiskars are my favorites.

I have several unused ginghers in various sizes which I'll put up for sale here one of these days.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM

Fiskars are good scissors and they are much more reasonable than Ginghers. I just bought a variety pack of five for $14.99 Canadian at Len's Mills. This combo pack would give her a chance to try out some of the various styles and sizes without breaking your budget. It included 7" shears, hinged ones that pull apart, snips, embroidery scissors and a small multi purpose pair. Happy snipping!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm also a Gingher fan! I have several pairs of different styles of Gingher scissors. I got some great deals on ebay--you just have to watch for a good price. I bought all of mine from there, and got most them for about a third of the price I would have paid locally, even on sale. All of them I got were new in the package. It takes patience to find good deals like that, but it really paid off. :-D
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Ginghers gal here all the way... Best I ever used and stay sharp longer than my others that are now sitting in my drawer..
Old 09-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I'm another Gingher lover!

For "general purpose/scrapping/crafting," I'd go with the 5". The blade is still a reasonable length, and I find the fingers to be more comfortable than my 4" ones.

If she doesn't need the longer blade, I wouldn't go with the 8". They are heavier, and don't get into tight spots as well as a smaller scissor. Love my 8" for fabric, though.
Is scrapping somthing other than cutting fabric? :shock: My ginghers are only allowed to touch fabric. I use a less expensive scissor for most of my crafting but since that usually involves wires and soldering irons I think you can guess why. :-)