Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what scissors do you use?

i am currently working on some applique pieces, and the thought crossed my mind "am i ruining my scissors?"...i use paper scissors to cut the fusible web paper or steam a seam paper, but after i fuse the fabric on it, i am using my fabric scissors, coz they cut the fabric better and closer to the lines....but am i ruining them by cutting the fusible under the fabric? your input is appreciated....thanks...gina

I don't really cut out my pieces before I fuse them. I just cut them into rough shapes. I use the Fiskars type scissors for that. There are probably half a dozen pairs of that type of scissors around here. Some that are so dull the only thing they will cut is paper. After I have rough cut shapes fused to my fabric then I use a small pair of Elan scissors to cut them out with. They're serrated and super sharp with a very fine blade.

Junior Member Heartwarming quilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like using the fiskars soft touch. I use my fabric scissors to cut out anything that has been fused to fabric and my paper scissors for the rest. But then I am also the only one who uses my paper scissors so they're still pretty sharp.

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    I'm partial to Fiskars also. I have several pairs I use. Some for paper, one for fabric....

Blog Entries
    i got these relly great ones by MUNDIAL about 12 yrs ago, there starting to wear (read; husband and son snuck them), but they are serrated, you can only feel it if you run your nail over them, they're great, fabs don't slip and i don't know where to get them again, i have two of them, and one pr is over 20 yrs onl cheap ( about $20 each).
    good luck

Clover also makes serrated edge scissors and that is what I use for cutting out my appliques, both fused and non-fused. They come in 3 sizes. I love them!

Ginghers. They're expensive, but I'd rather save up for them than have to replace others. Love the Ginghers.

I use my Gingher duckbill applique scissors and they have only been sharpened once in the 10 years I've used them to cut out the fused to fabric shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    i got these relly great ones by MUNDIAL about 12 yrs ago, there starting to wear (read; husband and son snuck them), but they are serrated, you can only feel it if you run your nail over them, they're great, fabs don't slip and i don't know where to get them again, i have two of them, and one pr is over 20 yrs onl cheap ( about $20 each).
    good luck
    You know---there are very few things I will throw a fit about, but my family knows they'd BETTER steer clear of my sewing/quilting tools ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Shunem
    Ginghers. They're expensive, but I'd rather save up for them than have to replace others. Love the Ginghers.
    I love Ginghers, too. I like the small spring-loaded clippers for machine embroidery. Nice to have for paper-piecing, too.

I took a class on this style of applique yesterday, and I asked the teacher. She said that she uses a separate pair of scissors for cutting through the paper, fusible, and fabric. However, she doesn't really think that it dulls or harms the scissors to cut through the paper with them. She said that the fusible material itself does not gum up the scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    good luck
    You might try amazon. This brand comes up on google search.

Blog Entries
    believe it or not, i use scissors that i got at the dollar store. two pairs in the package for $1.00!

Blog Entries
    I have used my Ginghers for paper, card stock, plastic, foam, and other craft items. They still cut fabric just as good. I have a pair of Ginghers in my kitchen and they are used to cut everything, they are still sharp. When you need scissors you need them to cut so why use the not so good ones on anything? I like the Titanium scissors and the Clover just as much as the Ginghers for cutting fabric. I have Fiskars, Fanmore, Singer, Bernina, and other brands of scissors, I pick up whatever is closest to use.

Blog Entries
    Handcock's carries Mundial scissors..

I'm a Gingher gal and I use a pair of Craft Gingher Scissors...they are smaller and work wonderfully....