Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size is that block????????????? >

What size is that block?????????????

What size is that block?????????????

Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I think a finished block is without the seam allowance, but not sewn into a quilt top. Once it's into a quilt top it's not longer a seperate block. A 12" finished block would be measured without considering the seam allowance.
how can a block be "finished" but not sewn into anything?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Banned

If all the blocks "finished" at 11.5" then why didn't you just use them and add s narrow extra border to make up the difference in the size of the finished quilt.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
If all the blocks "finished" at 11.5" then why didn't you just use them and add s narrow extra border to make up the difference in the size of the finished quilt.
We tried that, but a 1/4" border all around looked really odd.

Thank you all ---- I'll keep track of what patterns I run into that do not turn out the size they say. I am precise in my cutting and always double check the seam to make sure I'm 1/4" --- and I believe the other ladies do it, too. I just wanted an idea if all of US were on the same track. And as one said, it's quilting 101, so I have been surprised when I get a size other than what I've aimed for.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Its been my experience that not all directions are spot on. I have books of patterns that I have had to coreect the numbers or counts of items to cut. We still need proof readers and I wish they would come back.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 AM

They probably want a 12 inch finished block. We have some members that will cut a block down to 12 inches unfinished. Thus the reason for asking the block to be 12 1/2 inches. They probably should have clarified it better but I would go with 12 " finished.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

thank you!!! thought t was just me. yes, In my less than experienced journey, I assumed it becam a 12 inch block AFTER it was sewn into the quilt.

Originally Posted by frusratedquilter40 View Post
My understanding 12" finished is when sewn into a quilt or whatever so when you finish constructing 1block prior to sewing anyrhing to it it should measure 12 1/2". I have found on quilter's cache that her patterns end up smaller so I move my needle to the right one click if you have a machine you can do that. If not check your seam allwance to make sure you are sewing a scant 1/4". This is what I have found in the past. Hope I helped
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 AM

Your dilemma illustrates just why all quilters need to learn to draft their blocks/patterns. Then, no matter what size you want your finished block to be, you can do it by drafting the pattern, cutting it apart and adding 1/4" on all sides of the pattern pieces, and making a trial block. I know it takes time, but I learned to draft in my first quilting class and I am so grateful to my teacher for having us learn that skill.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Another way you might rescue those 12" blocks, rather than trying to add a very narrow sashing around the edge... depending on the design of the block, you cut them in half top to bottom and side to side (dividing the block into 1/4s) and add a 1/2 inch or 1 inch (finished width) sashing forming a plus in the middle of the block and then trim it down to 12 1/2 inches, now forming a 12" finished block. It won't look as much like you are trying to make a block bigger as add the sashing around the edge does. A friend of mine just made a quilt that started with log cabin type blocks that were then cut in 1/4s and black sashing was added to the middle making a + in the center of each block. I haven't seen the finished quilt yet, but it is for her son and he loves it.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 AM

I agree if it still has raw edges it is not a finished block! So a 12 in finished block should measure 12 1/2 in, in my own humble opinion.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 AM

I'd say that a finished 12" block means that it will "finish" when sewn into a quilt at 12". It should measure 12 1/2" after it it pieced, then finish off at 12 after it's put into the quilt.