Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size can you quilt on a small arm machine and frame? >

What size can you quilt on a small arm machine and frame?

What size can you quilt on a small arm machine and frame?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about with a frame- but I've quilted a number of king sized quilts on a domestic machine- basted well, no frames, hoops, ect- just maneuvering the quilt sandwich- starting in the center & working out to one edge- then turning, working in another direction until all is quilted. even though I now (past 10 years) have a long arm I still at times quilt large quilts on my domestic= especially when I am doing small detail (up close & personal) quilting. I am working on a queen sized whole cloth this way now.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

i quilted a king on my 9" juki on a hinterberg frame. i only turned the quilt to do the side borders. as the others have said, you only have about 4" quilting space. my blocks were 12". i did a posy flower in the centers by quilting the bottom half, advancing some, quilting the center circle, then advancing and doing the top half. same with the corner design in each block. it's a lot of advancing, but very doable... just have to be creative in breaking up your designs.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I have quilted 100" square on a similar setup. As previously stated, the space gets very small at the end, so I used something that only required that amount of space. I have never tried to turn a quilt. It seems like a small error in getting it lined up would cause some ugly issues with the nesting of the quilt lines.
You can turn a quilt as long as the unquilted section is stabilized with quilting such as basting stiches. I would also baste down each side and across the bottom edge before turning.