Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What size is my hand quilting needle?

What size is my hand quilting needle?

I need new hand quilting needles. I've used one for years and it is 1 & 3/16 inches long. Does anyone know what size that is?

I guess if no one knows I could haul it into JoAnn's and try to find a matching size.

Thanks!
    Jean

I just know I use a size 10 between needle when I do hand quilting...have never measured it...has more to do with the thinness of the needle, then the length...whatever works best for you.

I think it is really difficult to say for sure because the length of needles of different manufacturers differ a little in length and diameter.I can only guess -the length you have indicated could be a beween number 9 or even 8. The #10 John James I have here is 1 inch.

Thanks. I've only used this one needle and got it so long ago that I have no idea what kind it is.
    Jean

Thank you Andrea!
    Jean

You may have to try different needles til you find one that you like. I used to like John James, til I can across Jeana Kimball's Foxglove Cottage. They are size 10 betweens, but the seem to feel "sturdier" than the John James - I like that when i have to go thru seams and such.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    You may have to try different needles til you find one that you like. I used to like John James, til I can across Jeana Kimball's Foxglove Cottage. They are size 10 betweens, but the seem to feel "sturdier" than the John James - I like that when i have to go thru seams and such.
    You are right--I may have to try several different brands. Thanks for the tip.
    Jean

I use a#10. It seems to work fine for me.

Power Poster
    Take it with you when you go shopping and compare it to the ones in the packages.