Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • At what size is a scrap too small to keep? >
  • At what size is a scrap too small to keep?

• At what size is a scrap too small to keep?

Old 07-09-2021, 02:55 PM

The smallest is the smallest you want to work with. Me, it is pretty much 2 1/2 squares.
    Old 07-09-2021, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    2 1/2" square is my limit.
    I agree. I do keep some strips narrower than 2 1/2 inches to use on strip quilts, but mostly if its a really pretty fabric.
    Old 07-09-2021, 04:20 PM
    Power Poster

Find yourself a pattern ... or several, that you want to do as a scrappy project.
    Then make your own precuts from those scraps, sized according to the pattern.
    Then allow yourself to turf the remaining trimmings!!

I started with one pattern, that needed 1-1/2", 2" and 3-1/2" squares.
    Then I tackled a large pile of trimmings that had been building. To me, they were just too big to turf. Yes, I had the classic mindset of waste not, want not, but never did anything with them. So far, all I am doing is making the precuts, with no sorting as to colours, etc. If I have a particularly large scrap, I will cut it into 5" squares. Once cut, I neatly pile into see-thru plastic boxes, a separate box for each size.

When I decide which pattern (now have four possibilities), I am going to work on, then I'll sort according to the colour scheme I want. Meanwhile, I'll just let the inventory build!

The best thing ..... the messy scrappy trimmings pile has disappeared, and my sewing room is looking much tidier already. Now, as I have trimmings, I immediately cut them into the precuts.

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-09-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    Old 07-09-2021, 04:43 PM
    Power Poster

I don’t think I will live long enough to use all my stash so I have been tossing anything smaller then 2-3 inches. My scrap bin is getting pretty full again and Bonnie Hunter’s new Bitcoin pattern may be in my future.
    Old 07-09-2021, 04:49 PM

I used to save everything and quickly got completely overwhelmed. Now I save anything 2" and larger.
    Old 07-09-2021, 05:39 PM

Anything at least 1 inch by 1 inch is a keeper. I have made two beautiful crumb quilts and hope to make more. I also save strings that are at least 3/4 of an inch wide. I love scrap quilts!
    Old 07-09-2021, 05:45 PM

Ha! one that is too small to show up if sewn into anything else. I know quilters who save 1 inch pieces. So it is up to you how small you want to go in scraps.
    Old 07-10-2021, 04:07 AM

Your comments have been so helpful and I've gotten a couple of ideas about how to store all these scraps that I have. I was doing some applique last night and used a piece less than 1" square to sew on a small circle 1/4" in size. So I guess I still need very little pieces of fabric for some things.

But, storing small things by color does seem to be the best idea. And, I do agree with whoever said anything smaller than a FQ is a scrap, haha. I am cutting a lot of my scrap fabric 2" x 3 1/2" for a scrappy quilt I've fallen in love with. But if I cut all my scraps that size, I'll have many quilts to make.
    Old 07-10-2021, 05:20 AM
    Power Poster

My scrap savings has really nothing to do with size, it has to do with usage. I will save some pretty small pieces if they will be a perfect eye- or flower center or whatever. On the other hand if I have a fabric I doubt I will ever use it might be fairly big- I will not save it. I only save what I will use. There are plenty of people out there who love receiving my scraps so I pass them on when I have a bag full that I know I won’t use. I never just throw them away- I give them away.
    Old 07-10-2021, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    ...........I am cutting a lot of my scrap fabric 2" x 3 1/2" for a scrappy quilt I've fallen in love with. But if I cut all my scraps that size, I'll have many quilts to make.
    Though, those 2"x3-1/2" blocks would further cut to a 2"x2" and 1-1/2"x1-1/2".
    So it would give you a few options, beyond that first pattern!