Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size is your design wall? >

What size is your design wall?

What size is your design wall?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM

Default What size is your design wall?

For those of you that have design walls, what did you use to make it and what size is it? Do you find that a good size for you?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM

mine is made with 2 4X8 Sheets of 1 1/2 inch foam insulation board. Had to cut the length to 6 1/2 feet, as my ceilings in my sewing room are low. I taped the 2 sheets together, with strapping tape on one side, so I can fold it in half when not in use. I then covered it with white flannel. It works great to have a 6 1/2 foot by 8 foot design board. Have fun.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 AM

I used 2 insulation sheets from Home Depot, each 4' x 4'. I had to remove about 2 1/2" from the top so it could fit comfortably in my 'studio.' I worked on my garage floor [covered in plastic to keep my work clean] and duct taped the 2 sheets together so I could fold them together to save room when not in the fully opened position. A friend helped me spray the insulation with permanent spray adhesive [from Office Max.] Then together we applied the batting to the sheets.

You could use flannel, felt, narrow wale corduroy, or batting. I like the insulation sheets because they are lightweight, affordable, and easy to pin into if the need arises.

Since I don't want the design wall to tilt or fall into the ceiling fan I put in 2 eye screws at a level I could easily reach, about 6"+, and put ribbon across the front of the design wall to keep it in place. I tied a bow at one end so I can easily remove the ribbon and fold/unfold the design wall as needed. When not in use it is in a folded position.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 AM

I followed THIS tutorial at Oh, Fransson and made 2 boards from 4' x 8' foam insulation boards last summer. I had to cut about 18" off the top to fit as I have a dropped ceiling on this wall - so mine when placed next to each other provide a work space that is 78" high and 96" wide.

I chose not to attach them to the wall so I can move them for taking pictures if need be and because I have really tall trim along my floors so didn't want to lose anymore space. They lean up against the wall just fine. I wish I had done this a long time ago!
Attached Thumbnails p1050412.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I have four of them. I think three of them are 4'x6' and the 4th is about 2'x4'. That is where I put my patterns and things I need to find quickly. Love your wall asimplelife. They really are a necessity if you do complicated pattern such as ones from Twist and Turn Bargello book !!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM

I don't have a lot of wall space in my 12x12 sewing room so I took advantage of the wall space behind the door. I bought a 6' wide section of tablecloth plastic with the flannel backing from JoAnns. Then I folded it to fit in the space available and tacked it to the wall...flannel side out! This might be considered 'redneck' by some, but it works for me.....here's a pic. I can also scoot the tall dresser further to the right side, to expand the design wall if I need the extra space.
Attached Thumbnails blackwhite4.jpg  

Last edited by Stitch124; 01-31-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 AM

I did the 4x8 2" thick insulation too! I was thinking it would be too big but it's wonderful. I too, covered mine with flannel and i love how you can use pins on it as an added bonus. If you have the space go big, just gives you more project options. You'll have to show us what you end up with, have fun!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 AM

I hung a queen sized sheet that I got at the Goodwill on the wall. I just pin the blocks up with straight pins, it works for me and I spent less than $2.00. I am, however, beginning to suffer from "Frugal Fatigue".
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 AM
RST

Mine is 8 feet square-- floor to ceiling and most of a big wall. I used the insulation boards, covered with a layer of white felt. I love it-- probably one of the most important pieces of equipment for good design.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 PM

Mine is a large flannel backed tablecloth. Taped to the wall with blue painter's tape. Works like a charm. AND when there is lots of string on it. - I take freezer paper and iron over it (right on the wall) and it cleans it right up. here's what it looks like on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails my-design-wall.-lg-flannel-backed-tablecloth.jpg  

Last edited by tuckyquilter; 01-31-2014 at 12:03 PM.