Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Skill or technique was to hardest for you to learn/master?

What Skill or technique was to hardest for you to learn/master?

We all have such different styles , but wonder if there is a common group of skills/techniques that seem to be the tough ones to conquer ? What was it for you that was difficult when starting out quilting or still is that "mountain" that just can not seem to be climbed?

Everything...at lease the first time. My biggest problem is learning FMQ (free motion Quilting).

Free Motion Quilting is the thing that has been hardest for me. I'm not good at it; but I'm getting better. I just need to practice more. Let's face it, piecing a quilt top is much more fun for me than FMQ. I think once I learn to FMQ better, the process will be relaxing.

Blog Entries
    it's FMQ for me. i can move the machine over the fabric, but it is difficult for me to move the fabric under the machine
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it took me a few tries to LOVE paper piecing...now I am addicted to it...still working on mastering Monopoly thread...and wonder if I will ever learn to needleturn applique...sigh

I must confess that cutting accurately was and is my issue.

cutting accurately is one of mine. Sandwiching the quilt also.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    it took me a few tries to LOVE paper piecing...now I am addicted to it...still working on mastering Monopoly thread...and wonder if I will ever learn to needleturn applique...sigh
    If you can learn paper piecing, and love it, you can learn applique - oh so much fun.
    Free motion quilting is the tough one for me, I need to remember to practice, practice,
    and practice some more.

Blog Entries
    I still can't make perfect Flying Geese unles I over size them.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

I actually have 2. FMQ has to be #1 on my list. I just dont know if I have the patient to keep trying. I like the look of handquilting so much better. Other than that.. sometimes keeping a 1/4 inch seam over large seams sometimes are a struggle. (Hopefully that is the machine and not me)

Paper piecing. I still can't do it very well and don't like to pp either. I just makes me crazy. I mean crazier than I am all the time. lol
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbAndVivsQuilts?view_type=gallery

Piecing accurately. My points don't ever seem to line up. I can do them within squares, and maybe even a row- but when I join the row, who knows what will happen.

FMQing- well, I learned that pretty easily. I definetly need practice to get great at it, but I love doing it.

Blog Entries
    My hardest skill to learn is machine quilting. I have an HQ sixteen and almost have a death grip on the handles whenever I touch it. I keep trying to relax my grip but just haven't been able to so far.

Unhappy

I still have problems with quilting. I dread the moment my top is ready for quilting. Lately I have been so frustrated with this part that I have been thinking on just doing small quilted things. I have around five quilts in different stages of quilting. I got stuck in some part and just left them sitting as UFOs. I don't know what to do with them. I cannot afford to send them to a quilting service, plus they are already sandwiched and have some parts already quilted.
    Baby Lock Ellisimo-^-Baby Lock Ellageo-^-Brother PQ1500s-^-1947 Featherweight.
    Janome 19660-^-Baby Lock Serger-^-Singer Serger-^-Accuquilt Go & Brother ScannCut.

Blog Entries
    FMQ, still working on that one!

Blog Entries
    I have to join the FMQ crowd and needle-turn applique is still a little choppy on the rounds for me.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    The "A" word!

mine was piecing accurately. It took a long time for me to just relax and make it right the first time...even if means going a little slower. It has saved me from ripping out LOTS of stitches.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Free motion quilting. I've been quilting for about 3 years, have made 3 (3rd just about finished) king size quilts and 3, starting on 4th baby quilt. I SID on all of them. I'm tempted to try FMQ on this one but worry that I'll mess it up. I'm really OK with SID, it turns out pretty good and the shapes show on the backside. Still, I would love to be able to FMQ like the beautiful quilts I've seen on here.
    Susan

Binding- I still haven't got it, even on small mug rugs! I'm going to do some of the binding tutorials here. I'm sure it will help! As far as free motion quilting who knows when I'll get there?

FMQ, most definitely. Followed by cutting accurately - rather, straight.... my straight cuts are always slightly slanted (so are lines I draw using a ruler.)

Now I do ignore the dreaded scant 1/4" seam allowance...ain't no way that'll ever happen & as I don't do traditional pieced patterns anyway it isn't important to me!
    Pat from Texas

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

I have yet to do a HST that didn't lose the points!
    Cosy
    A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever
    http://www.cosyquilt.com

FMQ, just don't have the time to devote to it that I want

Curves! I still hate sewing curves. Other than that I guess it's quilting---I never feel like I'm good enough at it.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Honest to God it's the scant 1/4 seam. I sewed clothes for over 40 years before I ever learned to piece a quilt. I believe with sewing, it's a 5/8 seam so it was much larger than a 'scant' 1/4 as my teacher said over and over. I was so embarrassed I couldn't sew it. And this went on for over 2 years. The other problem I had was cutting accurately with the rotary blade, when I folded my fabric, I made the V in the strip. I could cut anything but those long strips. I am far from perfect today, but I do sew a neat 1/4 seam and no more V's in my strips finally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast