Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are small items for a guild to sell at a quilt show?

What are small items for a guild to sell at a quilt show?

Our guild is going to have a booth at a quilt show and we are planning on having small items for sale, while drumming up enthusiasm for joining our guild.

We've pretty much maxed out on pot holders, coasters, bowl holders for the microwave, and mug rugs.

We already plan on putting orphan blocks, our spare 2.5" charms, and strips out there, as well.

But do you have any other ideas for something we could do and have? And if so, what is your favorite pattern for it?

Thanks!

Power Poster
    I saw a neat idea on Bonnie Hunter's Facebook group that someone had received for Christmas. Someone had opened the bottom of a Kleenex box and fold in (so they come out like tissues) 10 inch squares of fabric. If you had your guild all bring misc. 10 inch squares, you could make up scrap Kleenex boxes. I know I would buy one for working on scrap quilts.
    I would post the picture I saved but I don't think I can post a picture from another site.

That sounds like a cool idea, Tartan!

DJ
    I think I heard from someone this season that some machine embroidery gift tags sold like lightening. They wouldn't have to be machine embroidery ... little quilt blocks with a place to write To and From with a hanging ribbon would probably work, too.

How about some small zip cases, for earbuds, credit cards, change etc.

These sold fast at our guild table. Make from theme fabric as to what can be put inside. From cosmetics, drawing supplies, toy cars, notions, first aid, hair accessories, the list is endless. Some we jazzed up with embroidery, buttons, charms, satin fabric, velvet. Made some big enough for shoes and beach bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfum...ature=youtu.be
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

You would need to check what the "rules" are for the event.
    Commercial vendors may be "protected" and you may not be allowed to sell specific items.

Similarly, be careful you are not breaching any copyright matters.

Some of the Guilds around here sell remnants (pre-measured) donated by their members.
    Or make up pre-cuts ... layer cake, jelly rolls, charm squares etc.
    Likewise, kits could be made of fabrics and patterns.
    Also, used quilt patterns, books and magazines are often out and waiting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I love to buy interesting pin cushions at quit shows. I have a mouse, a hen and a tea cup pin cushion. Needle books seems to sell too. One guild hubby makes ruler holders. He makes grooves in a nice piece of lumber and polishes it up. I can fit about 5 rulers in it.

Jewellery travel pouches are popular as at the bun basket dividers. Casserole carriers are popular for gifts too.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Key-chain lanyards would be easy and simple. A strip of fabric folded with a bias strip maker. Stitch each side and add a key ring on end.

More ideas here.

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/bag-d...pper-technique

Kleenex tissue pouch

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    If your guild or some of itís members have die cutting machines, why not put fusibles on fabric, and die cut the shapes?

Additionally, could cut out entire quilts (preferably die cut) and sell them as kits.

Itís been my experience, quilters donít buy ready made items they could easily make themselves. They may never get around to it, but theyíre likely to say ďI could make thatĒ and pass it up. Selling things they could buy to make it themselves, just seems like a more likely sell.
    Blessings,
    -Robin

https://quiltedorchid.com

If your guild machine embroiders, you could design ready to use quilt labels...make them unique to what's on the market. These are a pain to do for me so I'm always on the hunt for unique labels I can sew on etc. Show your guild's talent off.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
    If your guild or some of it’s members have die cutting machines, why not put fusibles on fabric, and die cut the shapes? .......
    Have on display some samples of quilts, runners, etc. that they could be used in and you will have instant sellers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    If your guild machine embroiders, you could design ready to use quilt labels...make them unique to what's on the market. These are a pain to do for me so I'm always on the hunt for unique labels I can sew on etc. Show your guild's talent off.
    I think quilt labels would be a great selling product. Before I got my embroidery machine, I would have bought quilt labels for sure!

Try Aprons, Lint bags for your machine. Stuffed bears in FOOTBALL fabric sold like hot cakes. They were plain looking bears, but in football, baseball, fabrics, I was stunned to see them go so fast. I made stuffed horses, which were a lot more work, better looking, but the wrong fabrics. Won't happen again. lol
    Syl

Zipper bags are good sellers for our guild shows. A lot of quilters are "afraid" of zippers or simply don't want to bother with them and are delighted to buy one already made, especially in fun sewing/quilting themed fabric.

Love these ideas, ladies. I knew I asked the right group!

I have an accuquilt cutter....I like the idea of fused and ready to go quilt kits. The zipper bags might be a good idea, as are the labels.

I think the stuffed bears would be cute, too.

Someone PM'd me with an idea for making buttons to wear with cute quilt saying on them (Like....if you see the seam ripper, bring wine) type things.

Love these ideas!

We had kits to sell along with the finished items and not many of the kits sold. We made the simple key lanyards to give as gift with purchase. That was a good crowd draw. Items made from bright modern prints sold first. The floral and 30s fabric items didn't sell much.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    ..........I have an accuquilt cutter....I like the idea of fused and ready to go quilt kits. .............
    A thought ... don't bother with the work of kits!
    They'll never be the "right" colour, fabric, etc.
    As quilters, we all have a stash, but many of us do not have the accuquilt cutter to precision cut. So we would be attracted to this pre-cuts. Plus as someone mentioned earlier, quilters tend not to buy what they have at home ..... i.e. the stash!

My suggestion is to just make matched sets of generic fused appliques.
    Package them in sandwich bags, all the same count, colour/fabric and price.
    Have some samples to draw attention and for inspiration .... otherwise, they could just disappear into your display and never be seen. Easy-peasy ....... and they will be flying out like hotcakes!!!!

Quilts of Valour did this at Quilt Canada 2016, using generic Canadian motifs, (maple leaves, inukshuks, beavers, etc.). The only problem I had was deciding how many, of each to get!
    I think it was six per package. A reasonable number, and price. And yes, they were selling like hotcakes ..........

It's an easy project to do, and a good money-maker!
    Worst case scenario, if they don't sell, they won't take much storage space after.
    Plus you have some at-the-ready for your own or guild projects later.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 01-05-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    A thought ... don't bother with the work of kits!
    They'll never be the "right" colour, fabric, etc.
    As quilters, we all have a stash, but many of us do not have the accuquilt cutter to precision cut. So we would be attracted to this pre-cuts. Plus as someone mentioned earlier, quilters tend not to buy what they have at home ..... i.e. the stash!

My suggestion is to just make matched sets of generic fused appliques.
    Package them in sandwich bags, all the same count, colour/fabric and price.
    Have some samples to draw attention and for inspiration .... otherwise, they could just disappear into your display and never be seen. Easy-peasy ....... and they will be flying out like hotcakes!!!!

Quilts of Valour did this at Quilt Canada 2016, using generic Canadian motifs, (maple leaves, inukshuks, beavers, etc.). The only problem I had was deciding how many, of each to get!
    I think it was six per package. A reasonable number, and price. And yes, they were selling like hotcakes ..........

It's an easy project to do, and a good money-maker!
    Worst case scenario, if they don't sell, they won't take much storage space after.
    Plus you have some at-the-ready for your own or guild projects later.
    This looks like a great idea to me! I sell appliqued quilts and they sell too fast for me to keep up. This year I will be trying appliqued blocks where the background fabric is the same and they can buy them by the block and finish their own quilt. This is a finished top using the blocks (light colored background only).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Debbie
    Machine It

If the person with the die cutter volunteers to cut that's fine but don't ask for her to do it.

I think my favorite thing to buy is sets of pre-made embroidery blocks. Not everyone has the same embroidery designs and finding a completed set of nice ones is a saved day of mess and work to me. Absolutely worth the money. How about a baggy with ten ufo blocks. That would be fun to buy and clear out some of the ufo's. The last idea is make your own cards of color coordinated buttons for embellishments.

I went to a sale at the assistance league, senior sampler and they had everything imaginable to sell. I think my favorite thing I bought was a set of linen towels with embroidered accents for the kitchen.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Our quilt group did "all you can stuff in for $1" bags...little sandwich style zip locks (and they had to close!) These got rid of many little scraps, and were fun to watch ladies really stuffing their bags to the limit! Some were fabric, some were ribbons and trim pieces, etc. Christmas stockings sold well in all sizes, bibs for babies and adults, lined fleece or wool mittens in all sizes, and little clay flowerpots filled with floral print scraps sticking up cutely.

My guild shows have had good success with small quilted 'thread catchers'. We all use them at our friendship sew days to put our garbage thread bits in to be thrown out at end of day. Also small needle cases, pincushions and small zipper pouches for holding wonder clips etc. Good luck.

Friend suggested the small bags, about a foot square or rectangular sewn in long pockets, then filled with rice to heat up in microwave or freeze. Use for sore muscles etc. How about cup cozzies to keep coffee or tea or cocoa warm.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    These are cute and easy.
    https://so-sew-easy.com/non-slip-sew...oot-pedal-pad/
    It's also something that someone might buy so they don't have to go out and buy a whole roll of the stuff to make one.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

None of you have mentioned what prices your "selling like hotcakes" items were. Maybe it depends on where you are and how many other buying opportunities visitors have available? I know I always like the $1 items, whether I buy two or a dozen! In December, I came home from one craft fair with at least 18 items at $1, from two vendors.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast