Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are the smallest batting scraps you'll put together? >

What are the smallest batting scraps you'll put together?

What are the smallest batting scraps you'll put together?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:15 PM

I will piece two pieces that are large enough to use in a lap or baby quilt. Some a little smaller I save for practice blocks. But in reality, I have too many bags of scraps around and little room to store them, so recently, I started cutting up the smaller pieces for my DD to use for nail polish and make-up remover. Most of my left overs are Quilters Dream cotton and it seems to work well for her. And she doesn't have to buy the cotton balls or pads.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:08 PM

I don't sew the batting pieces together, just lay them out on the backing and spray baste. Works out ok. These are mostly small lap quilts and sometimes tote bags. No problems. I like to use up all the bits and pieces.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

i don't recall the measurements, but i sewed 8 pieces together for a lap-sized quilt
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 AM
cjr

I piece batting also, loose zigzag. I'm a senior & have to watch my pennies. I have to be in the mood to do this. i do use them , no different then cutting batting off the bolt.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I cut all batting scraps into squares. I don't save any that will make less then 5 inch ones. I the batting squares for string quilting as you go.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 PM

I piece pieces that are as narrow as !". I use these in pot holders, casserole carriers or placemats.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

I will only piece 2 for a quilt if I don't have enough for it.

I had a quilt 100 X 110 and the batting I had was 93 wide, so I cut it off the roll at 110" and added 15" to the 93" to = 115.

When I quilt for others, I give them the left over batting and the trimmings. They paid for it so it is theirs.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 PM

I don't piece little pieces together but will use them in other projects - mug rugs, potholdres, etc. I will add a piece onto a larger piece if I need the length or width. Might take 2 smaller pieces to make a piece big enough for a wall hanging or somethting that size. That's about as far as I go with it.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Can't remember the size, but no more than 4 pieces for the quilt. Anything less than 12" wide goes into the scrap pile for pet beds.
quick question...I saved all the scraps, fabric and batting and then make a doggy bed and used it to stuff the bed....it was heavy and when I washed it later, all those scraps seemed to bunch up in knot , and I thought it would never dry and then it was lumpy...........what did I do wrong?