Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Are Some Good Prices? >

What Are Some Good Prices?

What Are Some Good Prices?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM

I think you have two decisions to make here.

First, do you really want to spend your time "working" rather than sewing/quilting for pleasure?

Secondly, if you do want to "work" you need to set your price, and $20 for a small quilt is not nearly high enough.

I understand that you are FMQ'ing these on your home machine. Don't sell yourself short. If FMQ'ing was easy, we would all do it and not have to send our quilts to people like you or to a LA. Someone suggested that you find out the going rate with the LA's in your area. That is a good idea.

Lastly, where are all of these quilts coming from? Is your DH's Aunt the middle man? And if so, what is she charging HER CUSTOMERS?????

Please give this some thought before you get into something you would rather get out of.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Politely say that now that you have other duties/obligations that require your time and that quilting full time was not something you had in mind at this time.

I am afraid she will start bringing you the neighbors quilts, the church ladies quilts..etc...etc..you can not buy the batting, thread, etc for $20...and you need to stop this now before it puts you in the poor house...

Being nice won't buy batting or other supplies..let alone get the repair man to fix your machine that you are actually using for MORE than it was designed for!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't give her any more quilting than she pays for. In other words, just quilt the minimum amount so you aren't spending more time than she is paying for. If she says she wants more quilting, tell her it will cost more for more time and thread.

If this isn't work you wanted to do, just say you have your own quilting and can't do this for her all the time.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ps 150
I didn't set a price for her to begin with. I didn't think this would be a more than one time arrangement so I just suggested she pay me what she thought it was worth to her--she's always been more than fair. So, that was fine. Just not sure if I have all the time to do my own quilting, teach my two girls and to do all of her quilts for only $20 a pop. They were pretty small ones. I just wasn't sure what to charge for larger ones. I will, however, start insisting that she provide the threads that she wants me to quilt them with. I went through three spools of monofilament.
meant to ask you why did you use mono thread???
if baby quilts, they are going to have to get washed a lot and mono does not hold up to being put in the dryer very often!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM

I would charge by the square inch. 1-3 cents/sq. inch for all over design, and 4-5.5 cents/sq. inch for custom work. plus batting, backing and thread, if it's not provided for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Ps 150
I didn't set a price for her to begin with. I didn't think this would be a more than one time arrangement so I just suggested she pay me what she thought it was worth to her--she's always been more than fair. So, that was fine. Just not sure if I have all the time to do my own quilting, teach my two girls and to do all of her quilts for only $20 a pop. They were pretty small ones. I just wasn't sure what to charge for larger ones. I will, however, start insisting that she provide the threads that she wants me to quilt them with. I went through three spools of monofilament.
meant to ask you why did you use mono thread???
if baby quilts, they are going to have to get washed a lot and mono does not hold up to being put in the dryer very often!
She wanted mono on the baby quilts. There was this dotted green line that flowed through the fabric and she thought it would be nice if I FMQ on that line but didn't want the green covered up or done over with green thread. So, I just did what she asked for. As for the lap quilts, she didn't want anything taking away from the design and I couldn't match up her fabric color with thread so I just kept the mono in my machine and kept going.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Banned

I have same situation with friend so just a word of warning. I have known her for 20+ years and in fact she started quilting last year at one of my classes. Whenever I quilted one of her tops she'd give me $30 or so for lap quilts about 60 x 70 or so. Then she started having more and more. I finally understood she had told friends I quilt tops for $30 so was bringing me theirs as well. $30 was fine for her quilts but not everyones? Might just wanna make sure if she has so many that they are her tops.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I have same situation with friend so just a word of warning. I have known her for 20+ years and in fact she started quilting last year at one of my classes. Whenever I quilted one of her tops she'd give me $30 or so for lap quilts about 60 x 70 or so. Then she started having more and more. I finally understood she had told friends I quilt tops for $30 so was bringing me theirs as well. $30 was fine for her quilts but not everyones? Might just wanna make sure if she has so many that they are her tops.
I too had this situation. Only thing different was the amount of money, and the fact I found out she was charging her friend more than what she was paying me. No friend no more. Period. I value my friends higher than the insult I was given.