Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What stitch length do you use?

What stitch length do you use?

When quilting on your sewing machine, what stitch length do you use? I done hand quilting for years, and am starting to use my machine more. In hand quilting, I just use the stitch length that comes naturally for me in the rhythm of quilting. At this point, I'm just quilting in straight lines. I really don't know what the numbers on the machine translate to inches. For regular sewing, I just use 2. That seems to tight to me.
    Penny

Blog Entries
    I use a 2.5 or 3 for straight line stitching with a walking foot.

You set the length by consistency of movement too slow will be longer stitches too fast will be small stitches. I usually don't touch my tension or stitch length on my dsm but try to maintain an even hand and machine speed.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Sorry thought you meant Fmq for walking foot I use a 3
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I believe mine is about 10 stitches per inch for quilting.
    For piecing I use 12-15 stitches per inch.

Blog Entries
    It depends somewhat on the thickness of the batting. My machine defaults to 2.5 and that is what I use for piecing. For quilting with a walking foot, I start with 3 and go higher if the stitches look too small. Mostly it is about what looks good to you. You can make up a small test sandwich to try out different stitch lengths if you want.

I don't do a lot of straight line quilting (mostly FMQ). When I do I use 3 stitch length.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I use 2.5 to 3 if quilting is not dense. If it is a dense pattern, then I use 3.5
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

The numbers many of you are quoting are brand dependent! EasyPeezy's answer makes more sense -- and is more measurable, sight unseen. I use a slightly longer stitch when machine quilting straight lines, more like 8 to 10 stitches per inch, while I piece at 12 to 15 stitches per inch.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Blog Entries
    Modern domestic sewing machines are standardized, as far s I know, with stitch length expressed in mm. So, for example, 3 means an individual stitch length of 3mm. Pulling out my trusty little metal slide, I can see that 1 inch equals about 25mm, so a stitch length of 3 is equal to about 8 stitches per inch. I don't think this varies with brand, but maybe there are some exceptions out there.

I would have to pull out one of my vintage machines to check, but those machines may have stitch length expressed in number of stitches per inch (at least, in the U.S.). Seems to me I remember the settings being more like 8, 10, 12. This would be more in line with how hand stitches used to be counted.

When I do straight line stitching with a walking foot, I too use the 3. I also adjust the tension depending on the thickness of the batting.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

With the walking foot, I use the default stitch length on my machine (which is 2.5) because it usually takes me a few weeks to quilt a quilt. This way I don't have to remember to change the stitch length every time I sit down to quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    With the walking foot, I use the default stitch length on my machine (which is 2.5) because it usually takes me a few weeks to quilt a quilt. This way I don't have to remember to change the stitch length every time I sit down to quilt.
    v

thank heavens for post-it notes.......

Either a 3.0 or 3.5 on my Janome. Practice first to see which one works for you.

Almost always use 3 for quilting - I use 2 for piecing.

It also depends on the default stitch on your machine, for quilting on my Juki 3 is best

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For straight stitching, I generally set my length at 2.5 or 3, depending on the thickness of thread. For thick thread, I might even go higher to 3.5 or 4.

When I FMQ, a lot depend on your sewing machines. Some require you to set the length to zero with the feed dogs down. Try what works best with your machine.

Thanks for sharing. My new Destiny has a "quilt" setting that I'm planning to test out today. When I had that machine that I had so much trouble with, it was a disaster.
    Penny

Blog Entries
    quilting lines, i use 2.2 usually. maybe 2.4. I too think set at 2 a bit tight. could cause puckers.

I used to piece at 2.5, but recently have been going to 2.0. I don't want my thread to show through at the seam, especially if I'm piecing a dark fabric next to a light fabric. I'm making both tensions a bit tighter, too.
    Annette in Utah