Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is this store? >

What is this store?

What is this store?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM

that is all very interesting
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
I was in Walmart's fabric section today and the clerk mentioned that the Mennonite ladies in our area had quit buying their fabric there. (It is the only fabric source in the town.) They had told her that they were now buying their fabric on line from Salt Lake City. Does anyone know what store that would be?
Can't imagine what store that would be unless it's Mormon Handicrafts. I'm not aware of a Mennonite community here in Utah. Could be but it's not what the state is known for.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
Couldn't they have friends or family who use the computer? Wait, when did they get electricity? Do I have them confused with the Amish?
You must be thinking of the Amish. The Mennonites I have known (for over 40 years) have electricity. One of the reasons they separated from old order Amish was their choice to have electricity, among other differences.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
I was in Walmart's fabric section today and the clerk mentioned that the Mennonite ladies in our area had quit buying their fabric there. (It is the only fabric source in the town.) They had told her that they were now buying their fabric on line from Salt Lake City. Does anyone know what store that would be?
Can't imagine what store that would be unless it's Mormon Handicrafts. I'm not aware of a Mennonite community here in Utah. Could be but it's not what the state is known for.
They don't live in Utah, they live in Texas. They are using an online store that is located in Salt Lake City.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
Couldn't they have friends or family who use the computer? Wait, when did they get electricity? Do I have them confused with the Amish?
Yes, I think you have them mixed. The Amish are the ones that have no electricity. I have a mennenite lady in Wi do my quilting for me on her LA.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM

There are lots of estate sales and auctions in our area. A good gauge of quality is if the Amish or Mennonite are in attendance. I'm sure that the quality of the Walmart fabric isn't to their suiting and that is why they are looking elsewhere.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM

I live just a mile or so south of the PA border in Maryland. I do a lot of my shopping etc. in Hanover PA. There is a great Bernina dealer there that I deal with all of the time. He is one of a family of Mennonites who are in the sewing machine business. He is also a farmer. He, his wife and all of his children work in the shop. They use a computer for their business but his children are not allowed on the general internet. In the last month he made a deal with a cell phone company to use his silo as a cell tower. He is able to give his customers really good prices on sewing machines because his extended family are also in the business and they are able to purchase in balk. Since the shop is located on his property and farm he has no rent etc. I don't know if he pays his family members for working in the shop. His wife and daughters still dress in solid colors with stockings and practical shoes and wear their long hair in a bun with a prayer cap. They are all very good business people and certainly reliable. I will have to ask them about the Walmart fabric the next time I stop in there for some sewing or embroidery supplies.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 PM

But, the original question was, what is the on-line store in Salt Lake City? I know the these ladies are astute bargain hunters, getting great value for their money. Are any of you using an on-line store for fabric that is located in Salt Lake City, or are we missing out on a good value deal, or is this some mis-information?