Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is that stuff called? >

What is that stuff called?

What is that stuff called?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
msariano's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 258
Default What is that stuff called?

I'm going to make myself a tote for groceries and want to cover the fabric with that "stuff" that makes it slick and/or waterproof. But I don't know what it's called. I don't want to go to the fabric store and ask for that "stuff" one puts on fabric.! Thanks for your collective knowledge.
msariano is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 95

qbtexas is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Super Member
0tis's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,644

Could it be vinyl? You can purchase a vinyl that you iron onto whatever fabric you use or you could purchase laminated fabric - then you just simply wipe off any dirt, etc. Finally there is PUL which is the slick stuff that is used for diapers or bags - its a plastic-y material also.
0tis is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Member
Pat625's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Pole
Posts: 1,643

I used PUL for my lunch and snack bags I made....I found it in the area of the baby stuff in Joannes..There are some reaal cute prints for baby diaper covers...
Pat625 is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
msariano's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 258

Thanks. Now I can go and ask for it by name and not look like a dummy.
msariano is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
quiltswithdogs's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay-Area...Union City
Posts: 441

I'm grateful for the answers to your question too. After making over 12 grocery totes for Christmas gifts, I'm ready to make some for me. San Francisco started it, but now my big county requires we bring our own bags. I've been wanting to experiment with that waterproof vinyl. I've never heard of PUL; what do the letters stand for?
quiltswithdogs is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Super Member
thimblebug6000's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 7,050

Oh my..... learned something new yet again! http://www.celticclothswholesale.com.../PULFabric.htm
thimblebug6000 is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Central, NC
Posts: 2,724

Great information. Thanks. I made a grocery bag out of a large bird seed bag. You can also make them out of dog food or horse feed bags too. They are already "coated" with a moisture proof lining, so to speak, and are fairly sturdy plus they have nice designs on the outside. I just cut them to size, box the bottoms and add webbing handles. My neighbor uses hers all the time. Have to make a couple for myself now.
KLO is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 4,961

Such a creative group! Good way to reuse and recycle.
Nammie to 7 is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Senior Member
Mickey1's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 593

It's amazing what you can learn here!
Mickey1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
04-18-2016 09:32 PM
09-28-2010 03:52 AM
04-01-2008 12:20 PM
11-08-2007 07:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.