Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what is this? >

what is this?

what is this?

Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 PM

I have that very machine. We bought it in 1968, the year married and moved to Germany with my hubby. He was in the Air Force. I still have it and love it. It still sewes like a charm. It does zz but you need a different foot. Mine came with a foot for zz that is always what I used. It has 2 plate covers, one for streight , I never have used it, and one for zz.It also has a zipper foot. I still sew on it when I have the brother 8200 and brother 150 doing embroidery. I still love my 237.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks everyone, I can hardly wait to get it going. Waiting on a belt and bobbin holder and bobbins. Barny
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I found this at a goodwill. What do I have? It has no gears. Help I know it is a 237, but it has a zig-zag stitch, but the foot and feed-dogs are for single.
If it sews a good straight stitch, you only need a new foot to accomadate the zig zag. You can get feet at the Singer web site or,like here in my town, at the singer sales and repair shop. That brand was so popular that replacement and add on parts are readily available. I have a 626 that was my first machine and still can get parts and feet. If you can, let your local repairman clean and oil. Some of those machines require a "grease like" stuff in the bottom that they need to put in. It is a good little machine and well worth the effort. Happy sewing!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 AM

That was a very good buy! I'm sure you will love sewing with her.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM

I love my 237, it is currently treadle powered. I use it for quite a bit of my sewing, sometimes I quilt with it too. I paid $20 for mine at a thrift shop.
Attached Thumbnails singer-coffin-top-treadle-013.jpg   singer-coffin-top-treadle-008.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM

you have a singer Fashion mate 237. she is a real good machine. I had one that only just recently bit the dust. Sewed a lot of my clothes, my kids, and my MIL. don't buy plastic bobbins. they are no good.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 PM

I had one just like this, ditched it after no one wanted it at my yard sale. But it wasn't in near as good condition as this one.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Default good machine

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I found this at a goodwill. What do I have? It has no gears. Help I know it is a 237, but it has a zig-zag stitch, but the foot and feed-dogs are for single.
This is a great machine. Mine is over 50years old and is still going strong. It's the only sewing machine that I have ever owned. Good luck with yours and happy sewing.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM

I have a 237 that I got new in the late 1960's. My daughter just gave it back to me and it still works fine. She lost the manual but I found one online that I printed out (free). Wish I could remember the site but I'm sure if you google it, you'll find it. It zigzags just like any other machine, was one of the last that didn't have plastic gears, and came with several feet. No cams though.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Congrats on your purchase. Good luck with everything. Thanks for posting.