Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are? >

What are?

What are?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I guess the one I hear the most is 'my great grandmother made real quilts by hand with a frame suspended in her living room'. Well yeah, it was the only way she had to make them.
I came close to smacking a guy who criticized the machine pieced and machine quilted quilt we had on our raffle. "not the way my mother did it"
Old 06-29-2014, 06:17 AM

In quilting, as with almost everything else, what is BEST is what works for YOU. Some people love scrappy quilts, while others like controlled patterns. While I love the look of bargelloes, that definitely would not work for me. Some people turn out stunning machine pieced quilts, but that does not work for me - I hate being 'tied' to the machine, and I can take my hand-piecing with me anywhere. Some people pre-wash and starch everything; nope, not for me. But I do what works for me, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says. I am proud of every single quilt I have made, because I DID IT. Once you quit worrying about what is best, or what others believe, you will find your own style, and hopefully, have fun doing it.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:08 AM

Whether misconceptions, misinformation or just plan opinions, I do not pay any attention to any of it...I just quilt because I enjoy the creativity and personal accomplishment of it....and ever changing ways of doing the craft.......don't try to analyze - just do!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:40 PM

I've had co-workers jokingly tell me I'm too young to quilt, but never has another quilter said that to me! I don't even know what that means! "Too young to quilt" to me implies little children that might hurt themselves with a needle or scissors.

I am younger that most of the ladies in my guild, but not (I think) THE youngest. And many of my guild-mates are teachers and regularly involve "their kids" in quilting. I'm a new member so haven't seen this myself but I know they brought in a group of these kids (ages 8-13 or so, I think) to show off their quilts not too long ago, and sponsor the kids so they can come to our annual show.

I'll turn 40 next year. I'm too young to give up my hobby, and too old to care if anybody else thinks I'm the wrong age for it!!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

The quilt police are all nasty, critical, old witches with nothing better to do than tear someone else's work apart.

If one thinks of a police person as someone to turn to when in trouble - or as a mentor - than the term may not be so negative.

Another misconception: No one will notice a glaring mistake or shoddy workmanship.
A polite person probably will not mention it - but chances are someone will notice - if only the maker.