Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is this??? >

What is this???

What is this???

Old 01-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Okay, I've been sewing a couple years and I am the self-proclaimed "gadget junkie", but for Christmas I got several new feet for my sewing machine. In this pack was the Walking Food (which I love so very very much), a 1/4 inch foot (which is my new best friend), and a darning foot (had one before and loved it), but there is this Cloth Guide. I'm not sure how to describe it...metal with a slot (I'm guess for the 2 screws it came with) and part turned up...if I had to say it resembled anything thing...I'd say an ice scrapper. It's late, I can't think of anything better. I know this is a weird question, but the directions just say to "Place the fabic on the machine and lower the presser foot. Position the cloth guide on the machine, lining it up with the edge of the fabic, and tighten the screw." The picture doesn't even show it in use. Does anyone know what a cloth guide is and how use it or even just attach it to the machine??

Thank you!!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:43 PM

LMAO!!!

Where do you go late at night when a stupid question is bugging you???
Google.

I found a picture there of a Cloth Guide in use and ran to my machine. I totally get it now, and don't know why I didn't ask for one long ago!!!

Gotta love the Internet...now, maybe I can find new gadgets I need.

Night all!!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:47 PM

My machine has one of those, too. On the throat plate, to the right of the needle and presserfoot area you should see a little hole where the screw goes. The screw may already be in the hole. The flat part of the "T" makes a nice little buffer to guide your fabric before it gets to the needle. Ain't all these newfangled gadgets somethin' else???! :lol:
Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 AM

I have one of these gadgets with my machine. I think I might try it now. It's amazing the things a person finds out here! :D

Minda
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 AM

Now I'm gonna go check my box of unidentified gadgets. lol
kathy
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Not quite sure what you are talking about ,I have all the rest of the attachments you mentioned but not this one .Would love to know more about it . Quilter
Old 01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

It almost sounds to me like you're describing either a bias tape maker, or a binding attachment.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Let's all vote......I say it is a cloth guide. does not sound like a cording foot or a rolled hem foot. Here is a site that shows an assortment of sewing machine feet.
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$CFK3ARQAABW50P4SY5KRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=156469

this should help everyone identify all the things in their tool boxes. Be sure to continue on the next several pages. Lots of goodies.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 PM

:? Well, actually, I do know what it is for now. And I think it is majorly cool. I did look at the JoAnn's link and didn't see it on there. I really don't know how to describe it other than how I did earlier. And I'm real sorry, but I have a terrible time downloading pictures to show ya'all what it is. But all my stuff show's it's called a "Cloth Guide".
I found a link, the thing I have is the one in the dead middle of the top picture. http://www.sewitgoes.net/smuse/attachments/seamguide/atseamguid.html
Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 AM

When my mother was teaching me to sew, some 50+ years ago, I got to use one of these little gimicks to help me with my seam allowance. I learned to sew on a Singer Featherweight. Mom didn't like the guide though because it got in her way so most of the time I just had a piece of tape on the machine to guide me.