Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Thread do youuse for Applique'

Superior Kimono Silk thread - works beautifully.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer623
    The other day I found a website that has big spools of it, roserushbrooke.com, and I was pleased with their service. Connecting Threads also has it.
    Wow, great site! And I didn't now about the mini-cones. If it's good enough for Diane Guadynski, I'll certainly give it a shot.
    Thanks for the information. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie k
    I am looking for a good thread to us for my Applique'. I have been using Sulky silk but I am finding it hard to work with and it seems to show on my pieces. Any help with my problem would be great. :lol:
    I use mettler 60wt.cotton thread for hand emb.variety of colors available.
    I have tried Sulky silk thread don't care for it.

YLI silk is wonderful, but you do need to knot at the needle or it will slip out easily. I use a neutral and it doesn't show. Also, be sure to use very small stitches. Good luck

YLI silk: I just like working with it!

So far, I really like using 100 wt YLI silk thread. I have also used Superior Threads Frosted donut (good assortment of colors). Haven't tried their Kimono line yet.

Blog Entries
    I use YLI but my favorite is the Kimona Japanese brand but it is hard to find. Only a few shops carry it and it is no mor exspensive than YLI.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    Are you talking about hand applique? I use 60 wt Metler's cotton machine embroidery thread.
    I use this most of the time plus orafil. I like orafil and you can get it at www.pacificrim.com with really cheap shipping.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the help. I have a box full of different brands and I haven't found anything yet that I like.I will try others that you all have suggested and see if I can find something I like. This board is great for information. Thanks all.:)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    in mouth watering colours - check them out, I'm sure they're available in the US... http://www.wonderfilonline.com/
    Huh. They are. Never heard of them before. Really, really nice selection.
    I've got this massive machine applique project in front of me and I keep putting it off.
    When you used the Invisafil in the bobbin, what were you using on top? A heavier weight cotton?

Did you match the bobbin color to the top color or use a neutral?
    Although I see there isn't a huge color selection for that particular thread.

Thanks for the information.
    I used a neutral top and bottom, I am now using invisible thread and Invisafil in the bobbin (lasts for EVER!) and that works good too. I also used it to blind stitch by hand a binding on a wall hanging and my stitches are invisible - better than normal! LOL I have some of the variegated Tutti 50 wt to try in the FMQ on my current project - will report back. I never really liked King Tut - found it too heavy at 40 wt. I like Master PIece at 50 wt but there are no variagated so I'm keen to try this. Got to finish the applique first though! I got a sample pack for £10 (think that's about $13?) - 15 spools I think 400 yds per spool. I don't know if you can get this online or if it was just for the show. Here's a pic... :-D

Threads
    Name:  Attachment-202557.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  53.5 KB

Details on back of box
    Name:  Attachment-202571.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  46.6 KB

nab
    This is a great post. I had no idea about what thread to use for applique. I have done very little of it, mostly just playing around with it. I do love hand stitching. Thanks for all the information.

I use YLI silk thread for hand applique. Colors don't have to match perfectly as the thread seems to disappear.

Blog Entries
    a staw needle. That is a new term for me. What do I look for and where do I look to find them?

I love using silk thread for hand applique!

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmomma
    a staw needle. That is a new term for me. What do I look for and where do I look to find them?
    A straw needle is also called a Milliner's needle. :)

For hand applique I really love Masterpiece. I can't wait to try out the Aurafil brand though...I hear nothing but good things about it from customers. :) Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmomma
    Straw needles are hollow, very thin, and come in a tube. I use #11s and get them at my local quilt shop. Don't think I've ever seen them at Joann's. They can be mail ordered from various sources like www.keepsakequilting.com, too.

Timely Question...I just took a hand applique class from Nancy Lee Chong-loved the class and her explanations are wonderful. She suggeted Aurifil. I used it on my little project and was very plesed. If you get a chance to take a class from Nancy I highly reccomend her. Her quilt company is Pacific Rim Quilting

Timely Question...I just took a hand applique class from Nancy Lee Chong-loved the class and her explanations are wonderful. She suggeted Aurifil. I used it on my little project and was very plesed. If you get a chance to take a class from Nancy I highly reccomend her. Her quilt company is Pacific Rim Quilting

Blog Entries
    i use embroidery thread. buttonhole stitch mostly

Banned
    I like Kimono brand silk (don't remember where I got it) and I also use a polyester thread called So Fine for applique that I order from Superior Threads. I like them equally well and the So Fine comes in a boatload of colors

Are you talking about machine applique? If so, I use 40 wt. Aurifil. I LOVE Aurifil thread!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie k
    I am looking for a good thread to us for my Applique'. I have been using Sulky silk but I am finding it hard to work with and it seems to show on my pieces. Any help with my problem would be great. :lol:
    I use bottom line for hand appliqué. It is a bobbin thread, I know but it come in many colors and just disappears into the fabric. I have not tried it in the top of my machine as of yet but if you go to the Superior Threads web site and ask Bob the thread expert I will bet he has a good answer for you.

YLI 100# silk thread and John James straw needles size 10. I order online.

I use Aurafil. I love it and it doesn't show at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast