Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread to hand stitch a binding, and why? >

What thread to hand stitch a binding, and why?

What thread to hand stitch a binding, and why?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I am a color matcher on the binding.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM

hand quilting thread
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM

I prefer cotton thread and usually use a color closest to the binding. I use the same thread that I piece with, which is 50 weight/3 ply. I use the same stitch to sew the binding that I use to applique, so the stitches "disappear" into the fabric.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Well, I'm intrigued by the silk idea "ckcowl", I will have to try that!

I've also had cotton bindings actually snap in the wash on a large, heavy quilt. I then tried cotton wrapped poly...tends to separate while hand stitching, very frustrating. The latest I've tried is Fil-tec poly wrapped poly run thru some thread heaven..working great so far and I'm almost finished with a ginormous king!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM

I color match, often use polyester and frequently use what's left of the thread on the bobbin of my long-arm when I finish a quilt. Polyester doesn't wear out cotton fabric. I just believe that's an urban myth. So, for the sake of invisibility, fine and color matched are my checkpoints. The thread also needs to be strong. You don't want any breakage here and the binding of a quilt takes more stress than any other part.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 PM

I don't have any poly thread. I use Mettler for bindings. I don't worry about the color since my stitches don't show at all.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
Well, I'm intrigued by the silk idea "ckcowl", I will have to try that!

I've also had cotton bindings actually snap in the wash on a large, heavy quilt. I then tried cotton wrapped poly...tends to separate while hand stitching, very frustrating. The latest I've tried is Fil-tec poly wrapped poly run thru some thread heaven..working great so far and I'm almost finished with a ginormous king!!!
I'm curious about the silk thread as well, ckcowl, and just ordered a small variety pack of it from Superior Threads. I would love this to be the answer to my stitches showing (and yes, I keep practicing the "invisible stitch", and I'm getting a whole lot better, but I could improve.

Thanks for the advice, omaluvs2quilt. I'm working on a king sized quilt, my first king, and I was wondering if cotton thread (which I've used in the past) would hold up on this monster. I just found a 50# polyester (So Fine) that matches, and will use that. The silk doesn't have a matching color, too bad, but the So Fine comes highly recommended from my quilt shop.

Thank you everyone for your input! I think what I'm hearing is that on smaller quilts, a good, strong cotton would do nicely, or whatever matches in some kind of poly. I also learned that ease of use is very important while hand sewing, as several of you commented that you like the "feel" of the thread and how well it worked. And for bigger quilts, I need to make sure the thread is strong enough to hold.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM

I use cotton thread. Poly thread *might* cut ever so slightly into the fabric and over time would damage the quilt.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I go for a colour match first but if I can find hand quilting thread in the right colour, that is my favourite. One strand is nice and strong for hand stitching binding.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM

I usually use the same thread that I quilted with. I use the ladder stitch on my bindings - nothing shows which makes it look really nice.