Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Tips would you give to a New Quilter?

With all the Newbies joining the board. Most want to learn more and have information.

I was just thinking that it would be a great topic for everyone to give a tip.

Mine would be: Start off on a small project. Wall hanging or baby quilt would be good.

Blog Entries
    There are no quilt police, do what pleases you.

starch is your best friend and when you go to quilt the top spray baste for the best result. (flip the quilt over and make sure the back is flat and straight also with spray basting.)
    Iron also is a good thing.

Blog Entries
    no matter what pattern you make or follow....be accurate with your cutting and everything else will fall into place.(which i strive for all the time. :oops: and i'm not always successful ) :oops:

Banned
    Mine would be: start out slow and develop basic quilting skills such as using a 1/4 inch seam allowance for piecing, accurate cutting and pressing skills.

Pick projects that you like. There is no point in getting frustrated in the process of making something that you won't even enjoy looking at when it's done.

Also, don't be afraid to try something because you think it's too difficult. Believe that you can do it!

Take your time and learn to cut correctly and sew a consistant 1/4" seam. Start small.

Blog Entries
    Buy the best tools you can afford and you will probably only have to buy them once.

Don't be too ambitious first out. Start small and simple. Try to add a new technique with each quilt. Be kind to yourself! Quilting should be something you love, not a chore!

toss out all the rules and forge your own creative path

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    Buy the best tools you can afford and you will probably only have to buy them once.
    I have to agree with this. If you can get a good tool do it. Something as simple as a needle can make all the difference. I spent way tooooo much money on fabric my 1st lesson. Learn on the less expensive fabric, then the mistakes don't hurt so bad in the pocket book. If you have ever painted with a cheap brush verses a better or best one you know the difference.

Blog Entries
    Figure out where the scant 1/4" inch is on your machine and strive to use it consistently.
    Press, don't iron.

Start out making placemats or hot bads. If they're less than perfect, you can use them yourself at home, and you can still learn. Just think--they'll always be around so you can compare them to what you can do in a year...2 years...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    toss out all the rules and forge your own creative path
    I kinda disagree with this. Learning the rules, and then coloring out of the lines, you do it with a knowledge that can take you further and knowing how to color outside those lines and why, gives you something to build on. I like to color out side of the lines and do all the time. I like to experiment and try knew things, mostly I do my own thing. Color is one of those for me the basic color wheel is the rule, but I have to try it my way.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Figure out where the scant 1/4" inch is on your machine and strive to use it consistently.
    Press, don't iron.
    This is a really good one

I have to agree with press. I used to sew a lot of clothing for myself and our daughter when she was a kid. I thought getting out the iron and board was a pain so struggled through sewing without pressing.

After a hiatus of about 10 years not sewing clothing I started back and decided to drag out the iron and the board. WOW...what a difference...especially sewing curves etc. Oh...and what fun it was sewing darts WITHOUT pressing...NOT.

My iron became my best friend. lol

Blog Entries
    Submerge yourself into the world of quilting by joining a quilting guild. Then learn from others in your guild. Quilters are usually pleasant people and will usually be glad to help you out when you are stuck on a design or project.

There are no blocks to creativity, only distractions. Don't be too hard on yourself as you move along. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and if those eyes are yours, then you are a blessed and lucky lady
    Don't buy every gadget you see, no matter how much fun it looks like. Asked seasoned quilters to give suggestions for that, and you will save a lot of money.

Blog Entries
    If at all possible, take a beginner class. You learn the basics and can go from there.

Pick a SIMPLE pattern, try to cut actuate, stitch accurate and be careful with pressing (that is my weakness). You might want to take a peek at Fons & Porter website. They have a national TV show that is on PBS stations and BYU that I am still learning tips from them. But the important thing is to ENJOY yourself.

Become friends with your seam ripper!

Blog Entries
    Buy the best tools you can afford. And use a good quality thin thread for piecing. Starch your fabric before cutting.

Blog Entries
    Take a beginner's class

Even though you will find all kind of projects that you want to do.....finish one at a time until you feel comfortable with the process.

Start with something like place mats, baby bib etc before you tackle a full size quilt.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast