Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools of the trade will I need as a beginner? >

What tools of the trade will I need as a beginner?

What tools of the trade will I need as a beginner?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 PM

Default What tools of the trade will I need as a beginner?

I'm a complete beginner at quilting and want to know what kind of tools/supplies I'll be needing.

I have a sewing machine and a few 'regular' sewing tools (scissors, un-picker etc).

Also - where the attached link says 'Press each rows seams in opposing directions' what does that mean? Do I have to iron the seam flat? Or over to one side?

http://www.fatquartershop.com/Free-Q...el Kit PDF.pdf

Thank you!

Geisha.

Last edited by Geisha Girl; 01-15-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Needed to add another question
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 PM

Rotary cutter - I have both a 45mm and 60mm. I use the 60mm the most
Ruler - I have the Olfa 6 X 24 that is my most used. I like it because it is doesn't have a lot of marking lines on it and it is printed in black and is frosted so the markings show up better.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 PM

I'd suggest a rotary cutter, a cutting mat, iron & ironing board. As you gain experience and get a sense of what kind of quilts you like, you will be able to decide what notions you need. For instance, I would not advise you to buy a bunch of tools used for applique unless you tried it and decided you loved it. Then I'd suggest you purchase a mini iron, some fusible web, a stiletto, and so forth.

When the instructions say to press seams in opposing directions, it means to press one block (or row) in one direction, and the next block (or row) in the opposite direction. The reason is because when you go to assemble the blocks, the seams will "nest" together and you will get perfect points.

I have a picture here somewhere that will illustrate this....

eta: okay, I found the picture. See how on the red piece I pressed the seam to the right, and on the blue piece I pressed the seam to the left? This will make the seam nest flat when it goes under the presser foot.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]303571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails nesting-seams.jpg  

Last edited by Peckish; 01-15-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 PM

Since you mentioned you are already a seamstress, chances are you dont NEED anything at all. But i think most of us fi d the rotary cutter, ruler and mat to be far preferable to cutting pieces with scissors. Its useful to have a space to lay out your design- either flat or on a wall (i have pinned blocks to curtains, but that is not ideal!) Seach 'design wall' for ideas. A camera is good for seeing better when you trial different combos but, again, not necessary.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Agree with noveltyjunkie that you don't NEED anything. Hopefully you have gotten the rotary cutter & mat because they are essential. The rulers will depend on what you want to do. The 6 in. by 24 in. is necessary for cutting long strips, but I also like the 6 in. by 12 in. But have a lot more because they seem to throw themselves at you when you walk by them at quilt shows and quilt stores. And as time goes by there are sales where you will pick up other items because of the reasonable price and will be nice to have. Hopefully you have quilting friends who will loan you items to use so you can decide it you want them.

In the beginning a white sheet on the floor or on top of your bed can serve as a design wall in the beginning, no reason to hurry and buy one early on.

I do keep a note pinned on the board in my sewing room, that all seams on the even rows press to the right and all seams on the odd rows are pressed to the left. So I don't have to remember and done't have to think about it at al when I am making the quilt.

Hope you keep on enjoying making quilts. There is always something new to try.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 01-15-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:16 AM

Welcome to the board from NW Ohio.

A rotary cutter, ruler and mat would help but I wouln't buy anything else. I have all kinds of gagets and most of them just take up space. I wish I had used the money to purchase fabric. You will find out as you quilt what you have to have & can't live without. Will be watching for updates on how you are doing. Happy Quilting.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 AM

The other suggestions are great. Also when you buy rulers try to make sure they are all by the same manufacturer. There can be slight differences between rulers as to the measurements and just a slight difference can add up to problems when it is multiplied by several blocks. Have fun.

mltquilt
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 AM

As a beginner too I found that this Blog is a great tool and I learn so much from it.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 AM

You tube is great to get tips. Alot of what you need is what you can afford and what types of quilts and fabrics you like. I make lots of scrappy quilts so I use very little in the way of tools.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 AM

Im also a beginner and this board has helped tremendously! I also watched a bunch of Youtube videos to help me learn different techniques and how to use tools. If you dont already have one, get a 1/4 inch seam foot for your sewing machine it helps a bunch keeping accurate seam allowances.