Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of fabric is this? >

What type of fabric is this?

What type of fabric is this?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Default What type of fabric is this?

The fabric is the beige part, the backing is white. It feels like velour or velvet. Can you tell what it is by the backing or the selvedge?

I've machine washed it and line dried it. No issue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559702[/ATTACH]

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails velour.jpg  
Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 AM

looks like velour
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM

Thanks! It feels like velour. I have no idea of the difference between velour and velvet. In my mind it could be either.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:56 AM

It looks like cotton velvet or velour. (Velvet has a directional nap which creates light and dark effects when 'pet', while velour is cut and treated differently so it is more uniform in color) Try the "burn test" to see if I am right? If I am, it would be wonderful warm in a quilt. If not cotton, consider it for a snuggly backing?

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-05-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 AM

It's a cotton velvet used in upholstery. Washes up nicely. We used to do upholstery, and we liked the cotton better than the poly. Poly usually has cotton backing...and the velvet part is usually very shiny.... cotton has very little sheen.

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
The fabric is the beige part, the backing is white. It feels like velour or velvet. Can you tell what it is by the backing or the selvedge?

I've machine washed it and line dried it. No issue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559702[/ATTACH]

Thanks!!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Well this is confusing!! I did a burn test. There was a hard nubbin left which leads me to believe there is some synthetic in it. I also "petted" it as madam kelly suggested. The nap did not change which leads me to believe it's velour. I plan to use it in fidget quilts as both a texture on the front and a backing. I don't have a lot, I got an odd sized piece at the Thrift Store. It's probably a yard all told.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:54 PM

Velour (in theUK) is stretchy think of the jogging pants a lot of femail stars wore a few years ago with the word juicy across the butt. Without seeing it up close it also looks like the faux suede used for drapes and cushions, I made a bag with it for my dads walker and it washes great.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:07 AM

Could it be that microtex, I think that's what it's called...the newer upholstery fabric that resists staining? Just a wild guess.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:35 AM

I'm still not sure what it is but I used a bit of it as the backing for a fidget quilt. That was quite an experience! I machine sew my bindings on the back first then turn them to the front and machine stitch there. Usually I don't pin, I simply sew 6" or so at a time, line up the next bit and keep going. It usually works fine. Usually....

The binding fabric kept sliding around on the pile of the fabric. Sometimes it moved in too far, sometimes it went off the edge. Yikes!! I managed but it's not my best work.

Next time I use this for a backing, I'll plan to simply fold the backing to the front. It does not appear to fray but with the fidget quilts I always straight stitch the binding to the front then go around again with a zig zag. I think that should keep the raw edge from fraying. It's too thick to fold twice as I usually do when I pull binding from the back.

It made a cozy fidget quilt though.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:55 PM

KG2- have you ever used washable glue on a binding? I do that quite often, learned from the Sharon Schamber website. I don't know if the glue would stick well to the velour, but you might try on a scrap piece. Then report back, please

Don't you love how I get other people to do my work?!!