Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what type of machine for the grace machine quilter pro? >

what type of machine for the grace machine quilter pro?

what type of machine for the grace machine quilter pro?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM

I have found a reasonably priced used GMQ-pro frame, but it doesn't include the machine. What type of machine works best for this. Will any machine that does free-motion quilting work? If I am interested in purchasing the stitch regulator later, is it compatible with older machines? I have several singers from the 70's and 80's. Thanks in advance for any info r tips!
Amy
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I suggest joining the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com for information. I think any sewing machine can be used on this type of frame; however, the limiting factor is mostly the harp size -- that is, the distance from the needle to the "pillar" of the machine. A regular size sewing machine has a harp size of only 9 inches or so. A rule-of-thumb is that the take-up pole for the quilt will grow to at least 6 inches as a quilt is rolled up, leaving only a few inches available for quilting area. The folks on the Yahoo group can give you recommendations for sewing machines that will work.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM

You can use any home machine with that frame and even use machines up to a 16" throat. With your older Singer machines, the difficulty will be controlling the speed. Grace makes speed controls, which fit onto the handles, for many machines and may have one for your Singer. Check their web site for information on the speed control. As for the stitch regulator, which is much different from just a speed control, you'll want to Google the Quilters Cruise Control site. It has a list of compatible machines on the site, all of which can be used with that frame, including Viking, Pfaff, Brither, Juki, Janome, etc. Do not confuse the inexpensive speed control with the $500+ stitch regulator. They are not the same.