Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to use for a design wall >

What to use for a design wall

What to use for a design wall

Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 AM

I bought flannel backed vinyl at Joann's. To hang, since I am using concrete block wall in my basement. I put up adhesive hangers, clipped on some bulldog clips, and that was it. It is a little longer than I need, so i simply rolled up the bottom, can unroll to catch overspray when I sandwich my projects. If I am not sing it, I can just roll it up andput it away !!! In fact I've hung two of them. for overspray, but can put one away if working on smaller stuff.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:21 AM

On my way to Dollar Tree for a flannel backed table cloth. Had been using my bed but it is not near sewing machine and silly me, couldn't always remember what I was doing by the time I picked up the fabric, detoured by kitchen to get Diet Coke, looked out the window, find glasses, and sat down to sew......Will put table cloth on floor in sewing room, which is also known as the living room, and am excited about being able to roll it up with project when tired.....Thanks for all of your great ideas !
Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 AM

Using a rare 50% off coupon I bought a 'Fons and Porter' Design Wall that is similiar to a Vinyl Tablecloth. It is marked with 2 inch squares and lines marking the center. I can hang it or put it away when not in use. It has grommits to hang by so it's easily removed when not in use. It was about $12.00 with the coupon and worth every cent. Wish I had gotten it sooner.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by gigi10
Cheapest is a cheap vinyl table cloth from big lots. It can be hung over a door. It can be rolled up with the project inside.....transporting is easy It can be mounted to boards with staples. place the fuzzy side to the outside. your pieces will stick to the back fuzzy side. $3.00 or so
I just put one up on my wall. Very easy and holds the material you place on it. I used Command poster strips to hold them to the wall. Very easy and doesn't damage the wall at all.
BTW, Bed Bath and Beyond has vinyl tablecloths on sale (at least at my store) for $4.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 AM

I just got one and was disappointed in how the small 6 inch blocks didn't stay where I put them. Can't imagine what would happen with larger blocks. I'm returning it and going to the insulation board covered with batting. Last year I just used batting hanging from a rod and that worked but since I've rearranged my sewing room I making something more permanent. Hope to have it done yet today!

Originally Posted by SandySews
Using a rare 50% off coupon I bought a 'Fons and Porter' Design Wall that is similiar to a Vinyl Tablecloth. It is marked with 2 inch squares and lines marking the center. I can hang it or put it away when not in use. It has grommits to hang by so it's easily removed when not in use. It was about $12.00 with the coupon and worth every cent. Wish I had gotten it sooner.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Wide gray felt that I bought years ago, pinned to the wall. Also have a large folding pressing board with flannel on the back which a friend got for me wholesale. They are about the same as far as holding on to blocks goes. The vinyl, flannel-backed cloth sounds good for portability. Think I've got one somewhere :), must hunt it out.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

OK, y'all I've been thinking about making one on a spare wall. what kind of batting should I use? I'll just pin it right to the wall.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 AM

I don't have much wall space in my sewing room (set in an attic eave. So my design wall is a piece of 2" foam insulation board, right from Lowe's, I covered it with cotton batting, masking taped at the back. it stands against a dresser, I move it from there to my sewing area, where I grab a piece and sew as I go. I also put a piece of carboard cut to fit a king sized flannel pillow case to do lay out blocks, and bring that to my sewing area.

Originally Posted by Linnie
I need to set up a design wall. What has everyone found works best?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 AM

Sorry yours didn't work. I haven't had any trouble with mine. I've used big blocks on mine and they stayed right where I put them. The only time I have any trouble at all is when I put an entire quilt up and then I just put a couple clothes pins at the top to hold it up.

Originally Posted by gardnergal970
I just got one and was disappointed in how the small 6 inch blocks didn't stay where I put them. Can't imagine what would happen with larger blocks. I'm returning it and going to the insulation board covered with batting. Last year I just used batting hanging from a rod and that worked but since I've rearranged my sewing room I making something more permanent. Hope to have it done yet today!

Originally Posted by SandySews
Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 AM

I have a queen sized flat flannel sheet push pinned to my wall. I've used it for years and years. I can pin right to it if I need to or it just hangs on to whatever pieces I'm working on. I think I bought it on clearance somewhere for less than $5.