Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What value would you list?

Sorry I posted this under pictures and I guess should have posted here, sorry for the double post. I wanted to know what value I should list for the quilt below. It is approx. 60 x 80 large throw and has hand stitched counted crosstitched in some of the blocks. It is being donated and will be part of a raffle for the Houston Food Bank. I have only been quilting for about 1 1/2 years and only been on this board since July so I need help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am new at quilting too so I have no idea on values but wanted to let you know the quilt is super cute!!

Quote Originally Posted by RenaB
    I am new at quilting too so I have no idea on values but wanted to let you know the quilt is super cute!!
    me too, courious to know as well.

Have no clue on value either. It sure is adorable and for a great cause. Cudos to you!

I believe for tax reasons you can only include the costs of the materials. It would depend if you need the value for the tax deduction or for other reasons.

The reason is not for tax purposes. For all the raffles we list on the information sheet what the value is if it was purchased new.

If you are looking for a retail value for purpose of the raffle, I would go to etsy and look for quilts of similiar size and work involved and do an average of the selling prices you see listed. It is not a perfect method but it will provide something for you to base on valuation on.

The quilt is very cute and I hope the raffle raises lots of money.

At least $250

Value is tricky, but I've heard a lot of people say it should be cost of materials X 3 or 4.

Banned
    Are you asking value for selling it or charity donation on taxes for donating. If for taxes for can only claim the cost of materials. Labor you perform is not considered a charity donation. Wish it was I donate 10-12 quilts per year.

I'd figure out how much the fabric, batting and thread costs. Then figure out the hours you spent cross stitching the blocks and putting it all together. How much would you charge per hour? I know, that may make it pretty expensive. But your quilt is very nice and cross stitching is time consuming.

good luck

I have some precious cross stitch pattern books, and it says in the book that you are not allowed to sell anything made with them.
    I would insure it for $2000.00

This was not sold it was for a raffle, tickets are sold and you drop it in the item you want to take a chance on.
    I personally know Pat Carlson who is the owner of Gloria & Pat Designs who has written all of the cross stitch Precious Moments Books and don't think I will have a problem. Thanks for your input.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Spring for an apprasial with an AQS Certified Appraiser in your area. http://www.americanquilter.com/about_aqs/appraisers.php

There are different prices for different purpose appraisals. She (or he, for that matter) may be able to help you so that you will find future donations more accurate also.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindysue2
    The reason is not for tax purposes. For all the raffles we list on the information sheet what the value is if it was purchased new.
    My DD took me to a "green" baby store for a 36 by 36 four patch with no quilting only tied was $150. It was a very plane quilt. But that was in a yuppie part of town. Check your local baby stores. Good luck :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    charity donations are valued at actual cost of materials- it's not allowed to add in time- only the actual materials cost.
    so it is important to save reciepts- especially if you plan to use it as a donation tax deduction on your income taxes.
    an insurance or resale value would be figured at cost x 3.
    but most charitable foundations only allow the actual cost values.

I've had this question pop up on other things. The rule I try to take is materials x3 for a simple quilt - nothing fancy or "special". I jump to x4 for fancy and that can mean difficult or hand work etc.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't have any idea how much the value would be, but it sure is cute!
    Mary

Banned
    Blog Entries
    $300 is good, but for a charity raffle, I would put an "insured" value of $600-$800!

It is very hard to estimate a worth of a quilt. I wish you good luck with the ticket sales. You have done an EXCELLENT job. :lol:
    Joellyn

I would value the quilt around $250. Unless you have an appraisal for the quilt you cannot claim an insured value. An insurance company will only compensate for materials
    used if you have a receipt. Unfortunately, in this situation we never get credit for what it is really worth.

most I've seen have been taken to an appraiser and that is the advertised value of the quilt.

Power Poster
    There is cross-stitching on some of the blocks. Which adds immensely to the time involved.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
    Value is tricky, but I've heard a lot of people say it should be cost of materials X 3 or 4.
    I have no idea on the cost of a quilt BUT I have to say I love love love the quilt in your avatar. Do you mind telling me the patttern? I would love to look into how you put it together.

I would estimate $300-350.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast