Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What way do you quilt?

I used to hand quilt all the time, and when I did, I always started quilting from the middle of the quilt ouwards. Now I am machine quilting, and am not excited about the way my backs look. I mostly do stitch in the ditch. Would you start in the middle blocks and work out, or start at one end and work down. The quilt is about 45 x 60. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. You guys know so much and I learn from here each and every day.

if you are using your regular sewing machine, I would suggest starting at the center and working out. I usually start center and work to upper right.

Blog Entries
    I start in the center and work out too :D:D:D

Banned
    I start at one end and go to the other, but then again I am a guy that taught himself how to quilt....... :mrgreen:

Billy

Center out. Used to do everything by hand. Machine now. Going to play around with quilting as you go techniques because center out is annoying me right now.

Hand quilting only!!

Well I am going to start in the middle, work my way to the top right, then bottom left, top left, bottom right, that will be on the 6" squares, when I'm done with that I'm goint to the top and do all the 4 square areas. And after the one other quilt about the same size for another DGD, I'm going to play around with the quilt as you go. And if all else fails, I'm going back to my hand quilting. That's today anyway. Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    I start in the middle of one side. I don't start in the actual center of the quilt but I'll start by quilting down the center line and then out from there and then turn it 45 degrees and do the same in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Well I am going to start in the middle, work my way to the top right, then bottom left, top left, bottom right, that will be on the 6" squares, when I'm done with that I'm goint to the top and do all the 4 square areas. And after the one other quilt about the same size for another DGD, I'm going to play around with the quilt as you go. And if all else fails, I'm going back to my hand quilting. That's today anyway. Thanks everyone.
    Ok, I'm not going to do it that way. I figured out why my back isn't like I would like it. Here is the quilt I'm working on. It's for a 3 yr. old. And I just loved the "Monster in the attic" yellow fabric.

Anyway, I just did five yellow squares, decided to do this pattern instead of just stitch in the ditch. So when I have 5 done, the 4 patch between them has to much material. Not a lot, but more than I want. Soooooo....I guess my solution is to change the color of my thread alot. I want the yellow in the big yellow squares, but the little squares will be stich in the ditch with a big X through them. I've been machine quilting, or at least I thought I was for a year now. And my larger quilts I sent out. One to a longarm quilter who did a fabulous job and two for two other DGD's that did a simple squiggel across and I ended up stitching in the ditch around all the white backround fabric. It works. But the girls next quilts will be much better.

The quilt I'm working on
    Name:  Attachment-70867.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  70.7 KB

Senior Member Blue's quilting mama's Avatar
    Guess I don't go by the rules....it works for me to stitch in the ditch around the inner border, all around the quilt, on both sides of that border....which seems to stabilize the quilt...and I used LOTS of safety pins for pin basting. Then, I quilt the inner parts...then put on the binding.

I machine quilt on a frame and start at one end going left to right.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I start in the center. I don't have good luck any other way.

I start in the center and work my way to the outside.

Klgreen,
    Are you using a walking foot? If not you need one, it makes quilting so much easier. I do a line of quilting in
    both directions, it helps to stablize the quilt and then I quilt from the center out.

I do the same thing as purplefiend. Using my walking foot and a slightly bigger stitch, I quilt one line down the middle lengthwise and then widthwise. Before quilting these lines, I also use straight pins 3 or 4 inches apart all the way down the seamline to keep it taut and pucker free. I remove these pins as I stitch. This stabalizes the quilt and I can then go ahead and quilt each section. I also find that the batting makes a big difference. Cotton batting makes a smoother, flatter product with a smaller chance of puckering. I find polyester batts much more likely to pucker on the back, even if the quilt is pinned really well. If your backing is polyester/cotton it is also more likely to pucker or shift.

I have a walking foot. I ususally use that for the binding, but I'll try that today when I'm quilting again. I do use the biggest stitch on my machine which is 4, but the stitches arent the same size 4 as when you are just sewing two pieces of material together. Maybe with the walking foot they will be....can't hurt to try.

I do alot of stitch in the ditch and have not started in the center for ... about 10 years. I have done stitch in the ditch starting from one side corner and working my way down and across the quilt. I would not have done this in the "old days" prior to spray basting and a walking foot.
    Believe it or not I have not had any issues with puckers or tucks ... it looks the same as if I had done it the traditional way of starting in the center and working toward to outer edge.

I start on the borders first. That way I can trim off all the extra backing and batting so I woun't have so much to push through the machine. I spay bast my layers together and pin if I have to....haven't had any issue with this for stitch in the ditch or free motion.