Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
I don't quite know how to feel about the one I finished for DHs stepmother after she went into the nursing home due to alzheimers. ...It has disappeared.
I worked in a nursing home years ago. Check the laundry department, then go around and check all the lap quilts people are using. Sometimes they get put into a general lap blanket pile without realizing it belongs to a specific person. Or the residents will borrow it from a a person because it's prettier then the one they are using. Post a photo at the nursing desk also on off chance it's just misplaced.

But sadly, if it was pretty someone visiting or working there may have decided that it would look better at their house.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM

My friend made me a crocheted afghan for the sole purpose of staying on my couch! I love it, and this many years later it is still on my couch (different state, different couch) but I love it, cover up with it, snuggle w grandkids under it. I think using it every day is a better way to appreciate it than for it to sit in a guest room on a bed that is never seen or used! Just my humble opinion, don't negate their appreciation because it got used!.. Linda
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM

If it was really unappreciated, it would have been put in a box in a closet never to be seen again. I would feel honored if my quilts were at least out in the open where people could enjoy them.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Big difference between 'hard use', abuse, and neglect.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Linda-in-iowa View Post
I made 3 quilts for wedding gifts and never recieved thank yous. I've often wondered if maybe the dogs, at least, appreciated them. I also had a friend who asked me many times if I would make her a quilt and that she liked pink. She saw a picture of a pink one I had made and asked me several times if I would make her one like it. The one she was talking about had never been used, so I told her she could have it. Apparently it offended her that I would give her one already made rather than spend the time and money duplicating it for her, so after looking disgusted as she hauled it out to her car, she has never spoken to me since. Was I in the wrong? On the opposite end of the spectrum, I made a baby quilt for my daughter's best friend. Michelle told me after a couple of years that the quilt was literally worn to threads and that the little boy goes nowhere without it. He loved it to death. How cool is that! I offered to make him another one but she was afraid her friend would be embarrassed that she let him wear it out.

If my quilts were loved to shreds by the recipient(s), I would be so happy! That to me is what my quilts or blankets are intended & made for. If they are carefully tucked into a box or cedar chest (even better) and treasured, that is also fine by me. My time and materials are equally valued by the recipient(s). But for the impulsive I wanna quilt types that want freebies, forget it. No can do.

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
This is common...there is a segment of society that just doesn't appreicate it. No fault of theirs...they are missing a gene!! I would never make someone a big quilt without first making them a small gift...see how much they like it.
Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
Now ask me why I would never make a quilt for my MIL! (missing the gene)
I prefer to keep my quilts only for myself. Unless I sell one or more, donate to an organization, or barter selected quilts/blankets. End of problem.

Originally Posted by allie1 View Post
That is so sad. My story is, My very first quilt I made was for a family member on my husbands side. It was a baby quilt. I worked so hard on It .I gave it to them at a baby shower and she didn't even look at It she opened the box and just pushed It to the side and went on to say It wasn't from Sacks Fifth Avenue. I worked long hours on It I went to work a few days with NO sleep I worked on It all night. I didn't really know what I was doing then so the way she treated it really hurt. Then a few years later I started taking classes and I learned a lot and I could make It a lot faster

Good point. Don’t waste your time on these clueless idiots. Keep your quilts to yourself and give out store bought gifts. You will save much time & $$$$$$. Besides, if they don't like it, they can return it themselves. Thus your social obligation is satisfied.

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
I worked in a nursing home years ago. Check the laundry department, then go around and check all the lap quilts people are using. Sometimes they get put into a general lap blanket pile without realizing it belongs to a specific person. Or the residents will borrow it from a a person because it's prettier then the one they are using. Post a photo at the nursing desk also on off chance it's just misplaced.
Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post

But sadly, if it was pretty someone visiting or working there may have decided that it would look better at their house.
Most likely with those poorly paid, overworked attendants, I would say it’s at their house. Or sold off for pocket change.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Big difference between 'hard use', abuse, and neglect.

Yes!!!!!!

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 05-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM

I am so sorry the gift you gave was not appreciated. I know that hurts you. Be careful who you give your quilts and anything handmade to.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 PM

I have rcently made a quilt for a friend who has been diagnosed with cancer. She had to go for a stay in hospital by the time I had finished it, but I did not want to give it to her in hospital, as I was not sure about the security of it there. She is now in a hospice,so I gave it to her then. She was so touched, that all her visitors and the staff know about it. When I visit, the staff say, "You are the lady who made the quilt", as everyone had to be shown the quilt.She has it on her bed and when she sits out on a chair, she puts it on her lap. It is so pleasing when they are loved by the recipient.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM

I agree, how thoughless of her.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 AM

The quilt outside in the doghouse is horrible...and no excuse...
I made my boys quilts - my first ones when I just learnt how to and paid for them to be stippled. I used dog paws, bones, trees...etc...since they both had dogs that they loved (all was purchased at Keepsakes Quilt shop in NH) I was so proud of the quilts...now looking back they were quite simple, but for me just learning took me a while to make and seemed hard at the time Anyhow...they loved them and use them for their dogs...on the couch. When they talk to me about the quilts it was now such and such (granddogs) loves the quilts...my husband had to remind me that they for 1. use the quilts every day on the couch, 2. they also cuddle up with the quilts. In the end I learnt that yes they love their dogs and love the quilts. I have made them both more quilts and I now also have lots of quilts for my couches and cats...as well as for visiting granddogs. I do now let people that I give my quilts to the ballpark of what the materials cost//not including my time. I really think that helps.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Wow, some of these stories are definitely heartbreaking to a quilter. But as it goes to say, once it's given it no longer belongs to us. And I thought my FIL had done me a disservice Christmas. He had hinted at wanting a quilt. So I made one in his college colors of all things (it's what he also hinted to wanting). Well, Christmas day he opened it and plopped it on the floor next to his chair. He hasn't touched it since. It is still sitting next to his chair on the floor. He didn't even open it to see the pattern. It's in his living room that we never go into except on Christmas, still on top of the Christmas paper. Now he has asked me to do two baby quilts for the waitress who waits on him at IHOP. Really? The nerve. I said No to that one.