Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with 200 Civil War repros?

It's funny that you should post this now. I too was all hopped up to do a DJ quilt. Started collecting fat quarters and some half yard cuts. I don't have quite as much as you but still have a good amount. I didn't buy my sashing and background fabric yet though. Phew! Anyways, after looking over the DJ quilt several times, I started losing interest. I noticed a LOT of the blocks were applique, and due to their size would have to be done through needle turn. I like working with my machine and really have no desire to do a bunch by hand. So needless to say, I lost interest in Jane rather quickly.

Like you I now have a bunch of Civil War reproduction fabric that needs a project to go with it. Last night I was looking at the book The Civil War Quilt Diary. It has stories and letters that go along with the 121 blocks in the book. Most look like they are pieced which appeals to me much more. There's another book, The Civil War Love Letter Quilt, that also has 121 different blocks and contains love letters sent during the Civil War. I think a lot of those blocks are paper pieced though so I probably wouldn't want that book. I very well may get the first book though. I searched all evening through lots of patterns but none really appealed to me. I'm pretty certain I want to do a sampler of some sort. Just haven't found the perfect one. :)

Good luck with deciding what you'll do with your fabrics!

Look into a book called Nickel Quilts and another called More Nickel quilts - lots of designs in there that will lend themselves to repro fabrics. No paper piecing.
    You could always do a sampler quilt.

One of my grandmother's quilts was a nine-page set on point with the nine-patch squares the size of postage stamps. That was the entire quilt, and it was quite striking. You can use the colors in your fabric to make a color design. It's one of my favorite quilts. A lot of work, but worth it. If you want to see it, do a search on this board for "quilts my grandmother made." It's the first one pictured.

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine just came back from the big Quilt Show in Lancaster, PA. BonnieBlue Quilts was there. She said it was by far the best booth in the whole show and she told her so! I went on line, and guess what! I zeroed in on this exact quilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieSkelly
    Go to this web site: http://www.bonniebluequilts.com/detail.aspx?ID=35

It is a pattern called Glory Bound by Bonnie Blue Quilts. I saw the pattern and the quilt last year made with Civil War fabrics....Needless to say, I bought the pattern.... It was beautiful! :lol:

hi edie here I did the CIVIL WAR LOVE LETTERS, they are paper piece, but the letters are so great to read. We did them as a BOM and did 2 a month. We just picked out some of our favourite
    letters and did the blocks lot of fun.

Blog Entries
    Eddie, where did you find the no set in seams pattern? I would like to try this pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer
    Eddie, where did you find the no set in seams pattern? I would like to try this pattern.
    Sent you a PM. :D

How 'bout Farmer's Wife. It is a sampler with 6 1/2" blocks. I'm doing mine out of CW repros.

jumpin'judy,
    Great idea! I was going to say the same. I just got my copy of the book...for my spare time.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    flying geese.............that was a definate CW pattern and you could use the ivory for in between the geese.

Here is what I did with CW charm squares and no two fabrics are alike in it. It is just a simple uneven patch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    Here is what I did with CW charm squares and no two fabrics are alike in it. It is just a simple uneven patch.
    Wow, I really like that pattern! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    That is really pretty!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I'm doing a Seven Sisters pattern in Civil War repros. This pattern was very popular in the South in the mid to late 1800s. Below is a sample of one of the blocks. These are very easy to make when using a no-set-in-seams method of piecing.
    Where can I find the pattern for this block? Very nice, but looks hard

Blog Entries
    Ooo--Melissa--I've always loved that one of yours!

I made a scrappy CW, too. I didn't buy much of each fabric, but what you have would work for this, I bet. The pattern is on Bonnie Blue's site. She has amazing fabrics.

PS--I really had to think about what DJ was. My reply was going to be "What's a DJ?" but I finally figured it out--Dear Jane! Those are fun to look at--but I'll be plenty happy looing at everyone else's. :wink:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BizyStitches
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I'm doing a Seven Sisters pattern in Civil War repros. This pattern was very popular in the South in the mid to late 1800s. Below is a sample of one of the blocks. These are very easy to make when using a no-set-in-seams method of piecing.
    Where can I find the pattern for this block? Very nice, but looks hard
    Sent you a PM. :)

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    I made a scrappy CW, too. I didn't buy much of each fabric, but what you have would work for this, I bet. The pattern is on Bonnie Blue's site. She has amazing fabrics.
    Wow, another beauty! I've saved this one, too in my "ideas" folder for future use!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Eddie. My husband is a CW expert. He was never interested in having a quilt of his own until I discovered CW repros. He got very interested then. :wink: I'm going to put this one in a quilt show next month.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    Thanks, Eddie. My husband is a CW expert. He was never interested in having a quilt of his own until I discovered CW repros. He got very interested then. :wink: I'm going to put this one in a quilt show next month.
    Well, I can see why he got interested, tha fabrics are great and your quilt is spectacular. Good luck on the quilt show, I think you will do very well!

mgshaw & barnbum, gorgeous quilts as always!! You both do such spectacular work.

JUMPING JUDY, I have the Farmer's Wife Sampler book and want to start it but don't know where to purchase the fabric. Where did you purchase your fabric and did you use a certain colorway? Thanks a million!

Quote Originally Posted by jumpin' judy
    How 'bout Farmer's Wife. It is a sampler with 6 1/2" blocks. I'm doing mine out of CW repros.

In 09, I purchased a batch of FQs from Pat's Fat Quarters on eBay. She was very prompt in shipping & very pleasant to deal with. The CW repros I bought are Old Strubridge in reds. She has Auctions & Buy It Now, so maybe the ones of you who are looking for CW fabrics can find something you like there. Happy Shopping & Happy Quilting days ahead. Spring is here in Alabama.

All of you that have graciously shared pics of your quilts, Thanks so much! I love all of them! CW is one of my favorite fabrics. Bonnie Blue always has 2 booths set up at the Houston Quilt Show and the booths are just fantastic! It is a booth I spend a lg part of my money at ea. year just because her fabrics & kits are so nice. I have the Glory Bound kit that is shown in this topic, just need the time to get it done. CW Quilts are really just beautiful.

You can choose your favorite blocks from that era, do it in your fav. fabrics and have a gorgeous quilt. Even 1 block done in various fabrics is gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    Ditto for me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer
    I forgot to click quote...ditto for me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast