Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do with these fabrics? >

What would you do with these fabrics?

What would you do with these fabrics?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:02 AM

Default What would you do with these fabrics?

I subscribe to a monthly quilting box and I get some lovely things each month. This month I loved the fabrics but didn’t feel the pattern they suggested showed them off to their full potential. Each piece of fabric is a fat eighth. They suggested a cushion cover of a mouse appliqué (which was cute) but then they suggested lots of little patches (under 2 inches) in a big block down the side which I don’t think shows the fabric off.

What would you make with these fabrics?
Attached Thumbnails 7c457f28-198c-4d9b-85b6-1f3f8155656b.jpeg  
Old 07-15-2018, 05:20 AM

I love daisies, and those fabrics are so cute! I don't have a suggestion for you, unfortunately. I can only think of something simple like a patchwork of equal sized pieces...just to show the fabrics off. Maybe adding some solid fabrics that match? Like I said, I have no real suggestion. But I love the fabric.

Dina
Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Those fabrics are super cute and prime example of why I don't buy precuts because I would want more of those to make something bigger than a table topper of pillow cover. So when I get things like these I always end up buying more fabric to go with it so I can make something bigger. Several of the prints in your collection can be cut smaller as they are small scale and will show the fabric fine but the 3 prints with the little mice you would probably want to make slightly larger cuts. I would probably end up making those larger squares, like the center of a saw tooth star or something like that. There really aren't a whole lot of options when you only have 1 yard of fabric.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I like fat eights! I have a lot of them. There are a lot of fat eight patterns at Fat Quarter Shop. Right now I'm making an Elizabeth Hartman pattern called Chuckles using 8 fat eights and back ground fabrics for a 48 x 56 quilt. I may add a piece border of matching scraps to make it bigger.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes they are super cute which is who I want to do something worthwhile. I’m not fussed about it being a quilt (I make hardly any full size quilts anyway) but do want the block or pattern to be large (if that makes sense?) so I can shownthe little mice off. I will keep hunting!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Maybe look for some more fabrics that are compatible with the pieces you have?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:30 PM

I would definitely add a focus fabric or a very bright contrast. The fabrics all seem to be the same in value which--for me--is boring. Everything (again, my opinion only) looks the same with no contrast.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I get the Sew Sampler box each month and there is always a pattern for the fabric sent. What box do you get?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 PM

OH...those are cute fabrics. Maybe use them in a braid pattern with wider strips... Table runner or something.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I get the Sew Sampler box each month and there is always a pattern for the fabric sent. What box do you get?
This is the bramblepatch box. They send a pattern as well - I just wasn’t a huge fan of the pattern this month. I may still end up doing it though as I haven’t found anything better... We don’t have as many options in UK for quilting boxes!