Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you make with this cross stitdch piece >

What would you make with this cross stitdch piece

What would you make with this cross stitdch piece

Old 12-07-2020, 09:26 AM

Default What would you make with this cross stitdch piece

I found an 11 inch diameter round cross stitch that was made by my DIL's gtandmother. It is completed but has a thick raw edge along the circular border. I'd like to make something with it but not a pillow. CAn you suggest a good idea for a small wall hanging for a round piece or do you have any other unique ideas? It is a tic/tac/toe type design with calico cats. I understand it hard to visualize. I cannot seem to upload photos. My computer will not comply. I have tried many times over the past months.
Thanks
Mary Ann
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

If you can find an embroidery hoop to fit it, you can put it that and hang it as a picture. Some people hot glue a piece of lace or ribbon around the wooden hoop to finish. If you Google embroidery hoop framed picture or embroidery, many should come up. Another option is to put it on a quilt sandwich and bind it for a table topper.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:49 PM

I agree with Tartan. That's exactly what I thought of. I've done this before and it looks nice.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Another idea...applique on fabric. to make quilt sandwich. Stipple stich on background. Hang using dowel in the top edge on back. Attach lace to thick border.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by marand View Post
I cannot seem to upload photos. My computer will not comply. I have tried many times over the past months.
Here are directions and illustrations for how to upload photos.
Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020)

It's possible they won't upload because they are too large. If this is the case, you will need to make them smaller (less than 2 mg). Sometimes if you email them to yourself, your email provider will automatically re-size them.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by marand View Post
I found an 11 inch diameter round cross stitch that was made by my DIL's gtandmother. It is completed but has a thick raw edge along the circular border. I'd like to make something with it but not a pillow. CAn you suggest a good idea for a small wall hanging for a round piece or do you have any other unique ideas? It is a tic/tac/toe type design with calico cats. I understand it hard to visualize. I cannot seem to upload photos. My computer will not comply. I have tried many times over the past months.
Thanks
Mary Ann
Could you put it in an old picture frame with glass in front to protect it?
Old 12-08-2020, 05:18 PM

I also would make a table topper out of it.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:48 AM

Mount it in a shadow box if it is too thick for a frame with glass. A shadow box can be either hung on the wall or kept standing on a shelf.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:14 AM

This advice came a number of years ago from a friend who did a lot of counted cross-stitch. When preparing the piece, press it from the back on a soft surface, such as a towel. This allows the threads to stand away from the cloth and be more prominent rather than disappear into that fabric, whatever that might be (cotton or aida cloth). She did not advise putting glass over it--same reason we are encouraged to not store quilts in plastic or something that won't "breathe". If you feel you need the protection of glass over it, put a spacer between the piece and the glass so the threads aren't confined so tightly and gives the fabric a bit of "breathing" room.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I would put it in a frame. You can do it yourself quite easily. I bought tiny pins to stretch it onto a board and then framed it with glass covering it. That way it won't get dirty.