Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pack? >

What would you pack?

What would you pack?

Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Default What would you pack?

I love the short videos done by Helen Godden from Australia. I was wondering this morning how close to the fires she was. She is in Canberra which is quite a ways from the coast but I was wondering, what would I pack if there was a fire coming my way. Of course if I got a notice to evacuate it would be my papers/photos and get out. If I had all day, my paper/photos would be first, then one bag of clothes and then my machines and quilts. If I still had time, my stash and equipment. What would you pack if you had time?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:24 AM

Same thing I pack in a Hurricane evacuation, important papers, photos, flash drives, pets and people. Though not necessarily in that order.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:40 AM

I have a tendency to collect things and I've been working on not going into full blown hoarder mode.

Doing the "You have 5 minutes" drill is a bit different, if all I had was 5 minutes then all the pets would get out of the house first including the snake and lizards. If there was time to grab the computer hard drives, they would go next. My quilts and fabric never even made the list, that was good for me to know.

If I had a couple of hours to pack and a car to fill, I'd be filling it with life saving stuff, sure, a couple of blankets/quilts would make the list but I'm not sure the sewing machine would... guess I need a bigger car!

Hubby had a long appointment at the endodontist the other day, they had a book of inspiring quotes that I looked through. The one that stuck with me was "The important things are not things." That's a lesson I've had to learn along with things are not memories, we can keep the memories without the things.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 AM

we had a evac order some years ago, the huge natural gas pipeline that runs across the bottom of our property blew. Animals went in, my good sewing machine, meds I hadn't taken in years, and my grubby broken down gardening shoes. I'd probably be about as useless today, except I'm sure I'd grab my Ipad and laptop. It's just stuff.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I love the short videos done by Helen Godden from Australia. I was wondering this morning how close to the fires she was. She is in Canberra which is quite a ways from the coast but I was wondering, what would I pack if there was a fire coming my way. Of course if I got a notice to evacuate it would be my papers/photos and get out. If I had all day, my paper/photos would be first, then one bag of clothes and then my machines and quilts. If I still had time, my stash and equipment. What would you pack if you had time?

There is a website that has good info on a Bug Out Bag. It's everything you'll need in case you have to get out now. Cell phone chargers are what I always forget. I also have a hand crank electricity maker, about $30.00. I live where there are no hazards, but one never knows.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

This is something we should all think about, and at least have a list of the things we need. (I don't, but I should.) My dog, a vase that belonged to my grandmother, passport, laptop computer and charger, cell phone and charger, medications, any small valuables, some clothing appropriate for the season... that's about it. I don't see my children actually wanting the paper photos, and there are too many boxes of them, so they don't make the list. I almost think it would be a relief to be rid of all the "stuff."
Old 01-03-2020, 01:26 PM

We live in a forest fire high risk area. CalFire recommends having a "Go Bag". BOGA (Bug Out Bag Academy) is one site that has a list and a link to buying all the items. It's recommended it be placed by an exit door. My "Go Bag" would include important documents, a week supply of medications and a list of other things to grab. Grabbing would include pet, refrigerated medications and computers. Since we might not be home when evacuation occurs, I'm thinking important documents would also be kept at another site (safe deposit box, our daughter's
Old 01-03-2020, 02:43 PM

Everyone should make a plan before the time a decision is needed. Know where/what and communicate your plan to family. You have to make the decision ASAP and be ready to go.

We have evacuated for previous hurricanes. Three duffel bags filled with photos and one change of clothing.

I keep a master notebook organized with important documents and papers. It would be packed first. Then enough water and snacks for everyone as the stores are already empty. I keep an emergency box filled and ready in the pantry. Supplies are checked and ready each May just in case. We could be out of here in about 30-45 minutes if needed.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:57 PM

As others have said, this brings home what's really important. Of course my list is very similar to everyone else's, pictures, documents, medications, etc. Fortunately all of our computer documents and pictures are automatically uploaded and backed up to the cloud. But what struck me is that I wouldn't grab my blue ribbon quilts, I'd grab the quilts I've made out of my kids' baby clothes and my husband's work shirts. <3
Old 01-03-2020, 03:44 PM

My important papers and photos for the most part. If time a few clothes and a tent and extra walking shoes. Everything is replaceable other than the photos and some of the important papers.