Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you take? >

What would you take?

What would you take?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM

I like all your suggestions and think they will make for a great education day. Our local LQS is a sewing machine dealer and they teach most of these classes and she is a member of the guild. How do you justify having these classes when she is teaching them or has taught them at her store? Isn't that a conflict of interest? All her teachers are members and it would be like taking money out of their pockets.......just wondering how you all feel about this situation?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grncy View Post
I like all your suggestions and think they will make for a great education day. Our local LQS is a sewing machine dealer and they teach most of these classes and she is a member of the guild. How do you justify having these classes when she is teaching them or has taught them at her store? Isn't that a conflict of interest? All her teachers are members and it would be like taking money out of their pockets.......just wondering how you all feel about this situation?
Include the dealer in the planning stages. Tell her you wanted to check with HER first because you know she offers these classes at the shop and you didn't want to cause a conflict. I am sure she will be most appreciative of it. Maybe she can forfeit a couple of classes. Or it could be not all people who take her classes at the shop are members of the guild. So she will still make money from non members who will pay full price for the class at her shop, while members can benefit from her instruction on your guilds learning day. If she agrees make sure it is announced at the classes that her generosity made the class available so that way she gets a plug and members may be inclined to "thank" her by giving her some business.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 PM

We did this at our guild. One presentation was "Perfect Bindings", another was "preparing your quilt top for Longarming", one other was "Perfect Borders".
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
My guild is having its annual education day and members sign up for a class of their choice. It's a really fun day because we learn something new, catch up with friends during lunch, and the cost is minimal. I am in charge of selecting classes, so I'm researching what to offer the members. Ideas for classes, please.
What I wish every one here could do-----------------
translate any straight cut (as in NO curves) pattern onto graph paper to make any block or any pattern the size you want. (and as a companion class-----------color selection!)

I'm math minded and it seems so simple to me, but I realize many folks can't even imagine doing that.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
We did this at our guild. One presentation was "Perfect Bindings", another was "preparing your quilt top for Longarming", one other was "Perfect Borders".
LOL, I'd have to pass--------------I don't care about perfect. Functional is the best I can do!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 AM

I would second pp'ing and binding. I think those are 2 things specifically that are (or at least were for me) best demo'd/taught hands on.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 AM

i think that whatever you decide to do regarding a hands-on eperience, i would want a finished project at the end. teach me the technique then use that and others to finish the item. i think USING the technique would help to remember it.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 AM
Swap Hosts

I loved the New York Beauty class my guild offered. I think that is a block that scares a lot of people, but it's so easy. I'd take a class on needle turn applique in a heart beat.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Do you have any idea of the needs of your guild? Are they mostly experienced quilters or a mix of newbies and experienced. Can you guage what might interest them from past show and tells?

I think how to paper piece would be good for beginners
Advanced you could offer how to do a mariners compass using either traditional or freezer paper piecing

Do you have a really good longarmer or quilter in your guild? Or can you bring in an outside teacher? Maybe a seminar on "how the heck do I quilt this" with participants bringing in flimsies the teacher could use as demo.

How to properly measure for borders

Tricks for getting points to match, such as elmers school glue or basting at the intersections and checking before stitching the whole line, double pinning (which is what I do) etc.
These were my ideas too. So, what she said!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 AM

Keep in mind that if you use a commercial pattern (even if it's from a book), each participant must buy a copy, or your event will be in violation of copyright law! I would stick to techniques and not teach from a specific pattern.