Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your advise... >

What is your advise...

What is your advise...

Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM

to someone who is a beginning quilter. I have sewed on and off for quite a few years but am new to quilting. I am on my third quilt. Each quilt has been totally different: #1 was machined pieced w/applique and hand quilted; #2 was square-on-a-diamond-on-a-square amish design that was machined pieced and quilted; #3 is machined pieced and will be machined quilted. I am doing the quilting myself. Each quilt has different challenges and problems and mistakes that I learn as I go. The question: is it best to do one design until I become competent with it or is it just as good to try different designs to gain experience with different challenges?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

It's not so much the design but the techniques that are practiced on a design. If you do a different pattern you are still practicing the techniques and progress and add more techniques. Most quilts start with cutting so the more you cut the better you get. It doesn't matter what the pattern is your cutting for! Just keep practicing!
peace
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM

I would advise you to continue to do different things. Improvement in the fundimentals comes with every quilt. Plus the boredom of the same would make me want to quit.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Just do whatever pattern you like. You'll learn as you go. I innocently selected a complex pattern to learn with, but when it was done, I had learned a lot of stuff I wouldn't have learned with an easier pattern. Just keep moving ahead!! Your skills will build. No need to keep doing the same pattern over and over unless you really like it and fits your need.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

One of my first quilts had lots of pinwheels....it was then and there that I decided that I really hate doing pinwheels. So when I look for a pattern, I make sure there aren't any or I keep looking :lol: I really like doing new things, so most times, unless it is a charity quilt, I will do something new for every quilt. A bargello is my next one and I have 6 fabrics to get yet and I am very excited to get started. I had to try a table runner to make sure it wasn't out of my skills range. So much easier than it looks. I guess my advice is to keep trying new techniques and new patterns. Some of the easiest ones look awesome when done!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Thanks for your advice... I will continue doing new designs, perhaps with what looks like similar techniques... like cutting and sewing in a straight line... LOL ... for the quilt I am working on now each block has pinwheels made from 8 flying geese... I either have to match the center of the pinwheels w/ the flying geese triangle points cut off or keep the triangles good and the pinwheels off center... I know I am learning... just not sure what exactly... LOL.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

My first class was a sampler with lots of different block designs. It started from the basics like rail fence and advanced to curved piecing. Along the way, I really weeded out some patterns that I WAS SURE I wanted to make when I saw them on a picture. Trying a block changed my mind.

Whatever you do, just have fun with it. I like to switch it up or I get bored.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Accurate cutting and piecing is half of the battle :wink:
With every technique you learn, you are building skills that will help in any block/quilt you make in the future.
Quilt the way that is enjoyable to you :D:D:D
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM

I think it depends on the person, some pick up things faster than others. Also some are more meticulous about their work, strive more for perfection. I learned from my aunt and while she has made way more quilts than me dozens to my three. I find that my seams are far more accurate because I am not in a hurry to make them or finish them as fast, but either way you will get better with time no matter what technique you do. I did a difficult paper pieced star recently, never did paper piecing, and it looks just beautiful, you would think I had been doing it for years. You can surprise yourself. I have seen some amazing first time quilts on here you would think they were advanced, and doing it for years. It amazes me and inspires me to get better. This whole board is an inspiration with all of the beautiful quilts and different talents. For me, I have noticed that my quilts will look beautiful, when I slow down, sure it might take me a year to finish, but i like the end result better than my quilts done fast
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Yes