Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite denim jeans project?

Northwestern Lower Michigan/Seminole, Florida

Denim Quilt

I have made two of these denim quilts. They are raggedy quilt style.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scatter rugs made with strips of denim sewn onto an old towel or bathmat work well, look nice, and are very washable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    Scatter rugs made with strips of denim sewn onto an old towel or bathmat work well, look nice, and are very washable.
    picture???
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I have made a bunch of quilts, some purses, baby bibs, and my favorite was a batch of Christmas stockings that look like cowboy boots and use pieces from printed denim. The WORST was a jeans quilt for my DGS and he wanted the pockets, waistbands, zippers, and seams left in it. I broke a bunch of needles sewing that one and I told him to enjoy it because there wouldn't ever be another one!

Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess View Post
    I made the outside of this bag from a size 16 snake print vinyl skirt from a hoarder sale. (seriously, who wants to see a size 16 butt in a snake print vinyl mini???). I thought I had some black in my stash, but didn't and thought denim would be a good neutral. I love the way this purse came out! Not sure where the finished project photo is. I used jean buttons for the tab hooks, it really looks great! Oh, and I just used the jeans back pockets for inside pockets - does anyone ever really follow all the directions exactly? Kind of like a Miche bag. I'm definitely making more pieces! It was a Simplicity Pattern 2676, out of print now, but I'm sure you could find it on eBay or Etsy.
    I agree with your thought process. I saw a woman who was larger that was wearing a red short vinyl very tight skirt. not a pretty site,, but the way she strutted, she thought she was hot

Someone recently asked me to make two thows from denim overhauls that belonged to her father-in-law. I asked for flannel shirts also and she brought a couple. I have not decided on the pattern at this point but will follow the thread and see what others say. I have made a 5-6 inch block denim quilt before and tied it. They are very HEAVY.

I have made several rag throws for my grandkids. They love them. I use old flannel shirts & old jeans. Cut these into 6 or 8 inch suares or whatever you want. I sandwich these with flannel sheet squares, cut slightly smaller. Jeans on one side, flannel on the other. Sew an X through each one. Sew them together with one inch seams. Cut each side of squares about 1/4 inch apart, so that they will fray. Toss in the washer & dryer. Be sure to check the dryer screen several times during drying. The screen will fill up with lint. Also, you have to really clean lint from your washer. You can use quilting material instead of flannel shirts if you want. I bought 18 pairs of jeans for 3$ at our local thrift store.
    Making them is more labor intensive than expensive, which is great for me since I have 7 grandkids and 6 great-grandkids. Being retired I have more time than money.

Blog Entries
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielr...ts/6438517615/ . I found these on Pintrest some time ago. I love them. There is no pattern available but some day I will sit down and figure it out.

Blog Entries
    If anyone figures out how to make those let me know. I really need to buy EQ and figure out how to use it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielr...ts/6438517615/ . I found these on Pintrest some time ago. I love them. There is no pattern available but some day I will sit down and figure it out.
    Yes if you figure it out let me know to. Those are lovely.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Margaret53, that quilt is great! the stars give it the extra punch to make it really unique. I have enough blue denim just gotta collect some more black or find some wht.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

pal
    I made a throw to cover the old couch in the basement out of old jeans and any upholstry fabric that I had - including the back of the old slipcovers. The only thing I bought was white and red striped denim to pull everything together.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Check out these
    http://www.michelemademe.com/search/...p-Dead%20Denim
    http://www.michelemademe.com/2011/09...enim-plan.html
    There's also links to where the projects came from, lots have directions.
    Last edited by jeaninmaine; 01-27-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    I emailed the person who made the denim blocks I love months ago to see if there was a pattern but there isn't. They said they were thinking of making one but hadn't

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    This denim faux cathedral window is on my some day list.

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...nim-jeans.html
    I made this and love it ! I have all my families clothing in there (besides there Jeans), and you can keep on adding
    to it if you so desire . I use mine for the car ,and I always have it handy if we want to stop for a picnic .
    Really easy to do .

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!

Here's an apron

Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    I was just given a large number denim jeans and I am wondering if you have a favorite recycle jean project. I have made purses, and have seen aprons, rugs, etc. Many of them have decorative pockets and legs. Do you have suggestions for recycling these jeans? Would love to see a photo.
    I made an apron for Halloween out of a jean pant leg turned upside down.
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I love all your ideas, especially the snake print purse and the cathedral window quilt. Also like the denim block from Pinterest. May have to give that a try for pot holders. Will post some photos as I get some projects done. Again, thanks a lot.

I have never done it, but it is on my to do list. I seen a tutorial on jeans cut into circles, a square of material put into the center of the circle, 1/8 of an inch from outside of circle. Line up the sides of each square, and sew together on the outer edge of square. I seen it done from wrong side of the jeans material. But I guess it is up to the quilter.

http://www.equilters.com/library/jea...gallbaros.html

I found the tutorial. Hope this will work for you. Have fun and please post a pic.
    Quilting Mad in Mansfield, Ohio
    Patty

too o o o o cute...luv the use of the pockets!!!!! I gotta make me one!! Thanks for sharing!!

I took several back pockets from jeans and made a wall hanging with the pockets sewed onto a backing fabric to store things. Worked well. Do not have a picture of it. Take care.

I make jeans skirts out of jeans all the time! I wearalot of long jeans skirts and it is very hard to find them!

Power Poster
    I haven't done this myself, but my DSIL cut up old jeans into squares, even using jean pockets as some squares, then backed with flannel and tied. I can tell you they are nice and warm, personal experience. When my brother died, my DSIL helped that DSIL to cut up my brother's jeans, coveralls, etc. and make them into quilts for each of their 4 children, as a memory quilt. gh

here is mine

Blog Entries
    Getting into them!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast