Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite part of making a quilt? >

What is your favorite part of making a quilt?

What is your favorite part of making a quilt?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:50 AM

Today, it will be hand stitching the back of the binding on my most recent project. However, I am a planner at heart and love the searches for patterns and fabrics. Sometimes I actually plan for days before I "bite the bullet" and make that first cut. And, finally, it is putting that label on it -- "the grand finale!"
Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 AM

I like piecing best, binding second. Quilting is dead last.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
the binding? That is the only part of making a quilt I don't like- I just don't care for binding.
I love doing the binding. I think it is my favorite part since I found out how to do it right. Jenny Doan has some good directions in her Block magazine, but I press a triangle into the beginning of the binding, and don't need a tool to end it. Betty Cotton is the one who taught me to do that. No matter what width binding you use, it always works.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:51 AM

For me it is the piecing , putting the pattern together and seeing the finished quilt top. I put off the quilting as long as I can . Right now , I have 9 quilt tops to be quilted.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:25 AM

My favorite part is actually sitting down at my machine and begin the assembly. All the choices for color/design are made...that's most stressful part for me. But the sewing is my favorite as I pick a time when I can just sew for hours and not be disturbed. Usually it's summer evenings...dinner is done, good light coming in my studio windows from the west....ah, life is good!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
the binding? That is the only part of making a quilt I don't like - I love picking out the pattern and fabric, I love cutting and sewing, I even enjoy ironing. I love quilting (also have a long arm) but I just don't care for binding.

What may seem strange, but I think my favorite part is cutting the fabric.
You're not strange...I enjoy the cutting part too! I think it's the accountant in me that likes the precision!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:04 AM

I guess I'm a "starter"... I like starting each step of the process, but get a little weary of it as I get closer to finishing that step...motivating me to get on with it so I can "start" the next step. Maybe I should quit making big quilts and just do tiny ones that only last as long as that feeling of "starting". Seeing the finished product is also a great reward.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by katydidkg View Post
I enjoy the whole process but the layering, can't stand that part.
Me too, even though I have a ping pong table in the basement with good lighting and spray adhesive. I have it down to a quick method with never a wrinkle, but still hate the time it takes and the stiffness in my back from bending over the table. I would rather be sewing or quilting. I even like the binding, though do both sides by machine almost 100 % of the time.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:24 AM

I like doing binding, and FMQ if the quilt isn't too large. The cutting is the worst part.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Washing the finished quilt!