Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite QUICK baby quilt pattern or block?

What is your favorite QUICK baby quilt pattern or block?

I have only 15 days to make one for a shower out of state that I have decided last minute to attend. Also must not be gender specific. THX

Our favorite quick pattern is 4-patches alternated with a focus fabric. You could use Sesame Street, Eric Carle or some other fun print for your squares, and just pull colors for your 4-patches from your print. Here is one we did this way: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t145663.html . Yellow Brick Road is another quick one. If you want a more traditional quilt, pinwheels, Jacob's Ladder, and the Simplified Carpenter Star all make good baby quilts.

Darren

Peaceful Patchwork which uses a panel and coordinating fabrics works up really cute and quickly. So many panels are adorable I think and great for that quick gift and this pattern allows you to highlight a particular color in the second border (gender or decor specific) for those unisex panels.
    Lorie Astwood

Those who laugh last!

Bernina 830 Record, Memorycraft 5000, TinLizzie18 ESP Ltd.; Brother Innovis NQ1400E, Janome 640D Serger

D9P in colorful fabrics. It always impresses.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    D9P in colorful fabrics. It always impresses.
    Yes! I use 6" squares and in no time I've got the nine patch blocks to split into 4 smaller squares. That baby quilt can get big pretty fast. In fact, my last one got too big. It's on point so I won't be ripping. Oh well.... Good luck. also like the panel idea given above.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Banned
    My favorite go to baby quilt pattern is a simple rail fence done in coordinating stripes and polka dots. it's a hit every time.

Cari

Blog Entries
    this one could be quick and done in greens and yellows would be gender neutral
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t264793.html
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I made this baby quilt in one day. I had some 5" print charm squares that I used whole, and pulled coordinating solids from my stash and cut them 2 1/2" x 5" to go in-between the squares. Then a 2 1/2" wide white strip between each row and you're done!

Name:  P1110392.jpg
Views: 2811
Size:  104.4 KBName:  P1110396.jpg
Views: 2798
Size:  82.5 KB

Power Poster
    ​Warm Wishes with a cute focus fabric.

This is one you can make in an afternoon. My favorite go to pattern for any nice baby quilt on short notice.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=184 and it's free!
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

2nd vote for Warm Wishes. I can finish a twin size in a weekend
    http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/d...html?idx=5185_
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I always reach for the Warm Wishes pattern too. It can make a stunning baby quilt very quickly.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

my faves have already been mentioned (though I've usually tried a new pattern/ruler/quilt toy with the few baby quilts i've made!

cute panel with 4 patches or hour glass block border
    yellow brick road
    rail fence, rain fence on point
    4 patch or 9 patch with alternating square
    jacob's ladder
    jewel box
    log cabin

I'm already getting the 'itch' to do a strip pieced 9 patch with alternating block again

4 patch in a 4 patch
    disappearing 9 patch
    warm wishes
    Susanna

How about this...You will have to look past the cats draped all over it, but it is a small four patch alternating with focus fabric. It went together quickly. I have made several of these as baby gifts, but the only one I have a picture of is the one I couldn't bear to give away.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    I have only 15 days to make one for a shower out of state that I have decided last minute to attend. Also must not be gender specific. THX
    Nothing beats a panel that you put borders on when you are in a real hurry. There are lots of them. If I knew where you are and you wanted it, I could send you a Noah's Ark Panel that is colorful and non gender specific. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Warm Wishes with a cute focus fabric.
    Absolutely...you can make Warm Wishes a zillion times and never make the same quilt twice. And it's another one that looks much more complicated than it is - and goes together so quickly.
    Good luck - don't forget to share a picture when you're done.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    Sorry I don't have the pic on this computer, but I did one from some cute prints and solids from 12" squares. Made HST large star. I think I may have posted it here somewhere. Super simple!

This is one I bookmarked to try. It is so cute yet so simple and quick to put together. Only three fabrics are needed.
    http://asimplelifequilts.blogspot.co...on-friday.html
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good ideas here - thanks for the links.

http://schoolgirlsamplers.com/pdftut...peedyBaby2.pdf
    This is the link to the free pattern called Speedy Baby 2 quilt by Deslynn Mecham. I think it is 45 x 45. It can be done with charm squares or using your own stash. I will be starting this quilt soon for my niece due in September.

The center block can be embroidered or appliqued with the child's name or abc's or any fun print! Good luck

I needed a quick baby quilt too....made up Missouri Star Quilt Company's Five and Dime pattern Jennie does with Lynn Hagemeir.....very quick as you sew a charm square to a layer cake, cut it in the middle from two different directions ( you need to watch the video) and then reassemble. New baby's room is nautical so had no trouble finding a fabric line that would work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    This is one you can make in an afternoon. My favorite go to pattern for any nice baby quilt on short notice.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=184 and it's free!
    I use this Supersized 9 patch also. What is neat about it is you can cut 3 baby quilts at a time and have some ready for future babies. I have also appliquéd a cute animal on it for additional cuteness.

Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    Our favorite quick pattern is 4-patches alternated with a focus fabric. You could use Sesame Street, Eric Carle or some other fun print for your squares, and just pull colors for your 4-patches from your print. Here is one we did this way: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t145663.html . Yellow Brick Road is another quick one. If you want a more traditional quilt, pinwheels, Jacob's Ladder, and the Simplified Carpenter Star all make good baby quilts.

Darren
    I love your Alabama quilt...same colors as the NCSU wolfpack university my son attended. Can you please tell me what size blocks you made? I like the finished size of your quilt esp. the 49" width. I quilt my own quilts and this size is manageable. Thanks you!

Dina, is that the 'cat nap' baby quilt?? I can see why you had to keep that one, cute print and it looks well loved by your two furries.

Here are 2 quick ones that I made recently:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t262046.html
    Jo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast