Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are your favorite quilting books?

I love Ami Simms books! She's out of Flint, Michigan and really knows her stuff. I found her book 1001 quilting tips (I think that's the title!) and then she came to visit our guild in Ohio and asked us to make some quilts for a book she was writing. Mine was selected as part of the book - Patchwork Designs from Ancient Rome - she'd gone to Ostia Antica near Rome and took pictures of the mosaic floors and we made those photos into quilts. (If you have the book - my quilt is called "In Hopes of a Garden" after the Steppenwolf song on the For Ladies Only album.)
    Ami is the nicest person, and she's a great inspiration.

I'm trying to find a couple good books on quilt as you go. Have any of you tried this technique and could recommend a really good book with nice patchwork patterns? I was looking at Reversible Quilts and also Crazy Shortcut Quilts. Any recommendations on either of these?

I just took one recommendation and ordered Tradition With A Twist. Had to order a used one. It was out of stock everywhere else. I've heard of the bloomin nine patch. That's what made me decide to order the book, just to get this pattern.
    Thanks.

I have a total 34 quilting books,I just counted ,actually I have a weakness for them. I do get them from: House of White Birtches and Oxmoore House. Pay a little at a time thing on some of them.Especially if money is short. Anyways I have Home & Garden Quilt lovers fave.Volume 1 to 8. HOMe and G. complete Guide to Quilting I do love the Home and Garden quilting books. But the last book I bought was EL. Burns Star Log Cabin quilt in a day. Got it from Books A Million on line for almost $ 12.00 Plus ship. I can't wait to get started on the quilt. Also The BHG New edition of Grandma's Best Full size Quilt Blocks. I think it is really good. the patterns and the Block is full sized. I have books from different authurs such as carol Doak given to me by family,friends. I only part with the ones I know will never be used by me. I am a book LOVER and an avid reader. But Quilting and recipe books are really my weakness.
    BillsBonBon

Rox17, Betty Cotton has some books on quilt as you go. I have her Cotton Quilting Theory, but have not gotten around to doing her technique, although I think I do understand it.
    Some say her way will make your quilt a little stiff, so I am going to use it for small stuff if it does.

To billsbonbon.
    I made her star log cabin and it turned out so well. Love it.
    I did it in blues and whites with burgundy stars.
    Never have a problem with her patterns they always come out so nice.
    Just finished her jewel box pattern and it is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    To billsbonbon.
    I made her star log cabin and it turned out so well. Love it.
    I did it in blues and whites with burgundy stars.
    Never have a problem with her patterns they always come out so nice.
    Just finished her jewel box pattern and it is beautiful.
    Hi Rose Marie, I can't wait to start,but I have to finish my GRT.GRN.SON'S Christmas present. :oops: :shock: :lol: First,My Right after the new year I had company for 4 days. Then My DH and I got a bad sinus infection. Then He scared me to death with his Diabetes out of control,try 466,thought he had an ulcer,oh no he has diatetes stomach. DD had a hysterectomy,SPELLING, on the 12 last week. DH was going to get a non serious foot surgery,had an EKG and the hospital scared me, Nothing wrong with his heart. I am a care giver for my 82 almost blind,bad hip Mother. SOOOOOOOO now I have the grdsons quilt in the floor,taped down and sandwich. I say a prayer every day, Please GOD let me finish Cayden's quilt. But Boy when I do get it done this is the first thing I am going to do. :D :D :lol: :lol:
    BillsBonBon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the quilt, where did you find that fabric. Perfect for a boy.

Love the quilt, where did you find that fabric. Perfect for a boy.
    The block is tea dyed muslim, the pictures are free color sheets printed form the internet. I traced pictures on muslim colored with crayola crayons. Did the attic window on each. I have got to get this one finnished,so much has been going on but now I think I will be able to get it basted before this weekend.
    BillsBonBon

I just bought a box of crayons for quilting at the quilt show.
    Am going to look for a color book to use, didnt know about ones on the web.

i have heard of using crayons on blocks before, but do you have to have a certain kind? and do you wash or iron after coloring? thanks.
    beautiful quilt and great attic windows. looks like the whole thing is one big printed panel, such precision. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Billsbonbon - you are so creative! I love your quilt! I have never heard of using pictures and coloring them on blocks!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    i have heard of using crayons on blocks before, but do you have to have a certain kind? and do you wash or iron after coloring? thanks.
    beautiful quilt and great attic windows. looks like the whole thing is one big printed panel, such precision. :wink:
    I made 2 and gave directions on how I made them. First thread is Eriks My GGson's Dinosaur quilt and next is GGD Keyli's Tinkerbell and pixies.. . Thank you for the compliment. I hope this helps if not pm me. There is a certain kind to use but I didn't like them. It was not really for cotton. Just didn't like them. Not bright enough and only 8 colors or was it 6 don't remember I gave them away. I used Crayola crayons. I do have a paint medium I am going to try tomorrow on a sample block that is suppose to keep the color from fading. I will post my results when I do. They are fun to make.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/14392.page
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/14644.page

BillsBonBon

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
    Billsbonbon - you are so creative! I love your quilt! I have never heard of using pictures and coloring them on blocks!
    Thank you Much for compliment. I never heard about it either until I saw it on a quilting show. I think simply quilts with alex anderson.
    BillsBonBon

I just bought a box of crayons for quilting at the quilt show.
    Am going to look for a color book to use, didnt know about ones on the web.
    Just key in free whatever subject color pages and you get several links.
    BillsBonBon

I have two used Debbie Mumm books from the 90's and the patterns are so cute. I also like my mini quilt books which I have 4 of.
    Darlene

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    I have two used Debbie Mumm books from the 90's and the patterns are so cute. I also like my mini quilt books which I have 4 of.
    Darlene
    I have some Debbie Mumm books too. They are so much fun to look at. I've never actually made anything from them though.

I have the problem of buying the books but not having actualy enough time to use all of them.....Some books are really great...other ae more specific...It depends on our level skills and what we are really up into next.... :roll: :roll: :roll: Books are great...I can always go back to them and they always have something new to teach me.....
    :lol:

Blog Entries
    What are your favorite quilting books?

I like Eleanor Burns. I have lots of quilting books from my collection of books over the past 30 years

I have lots of books, have been collecting for years. I guess my favorite is 365 Fun-To-Stitch QUILT BLOCKS from house of White Birches. It is all 12.5 inch blocks, and so much fun to look at, and try new ones. Ones I have never seen anywhere else

Elly Sienkiewitz (sp?) Baltimore Album. I have most of her series. Then there's a scattering of everything imaginable!! My bible is Fons and Porter Complete Guide to Quilting (Actually had that spirl bound has highlighting and post-it-notes everywhere) I got it when I first started quilting. Like books on quilting designs, borders, blocks and color!

My newest favorites are: Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns and Encyclopedia of Applique both by Barbara Brackman.

I would also say Traditions with a Twist, I have made three from it, and love them all.

The best book I have found is The Quilting Answer Book by Barbara Weiland Talbert-it has solutions and answers for just about everything.

I like the same ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by SulaBug
    I have gotten more use out of my "Quilt in a Day" log cabin pattern book, by Eleanor Burns. But I do love to make several differnt things also. The D9P block is also a favorite. :D :D :D :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2