Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is your favourite fabric? Best quality?

What is your favourite fabric? Best quality?

I got some Robert Kauffman Kona colors fabric the other day - love it, nice weight. Anyhow - I am starting to make a quilt and have found some other fabrics to go with the Konas and the quality of the other fabric is really poor, very thin, not much too it, see through almost.

Do you have a specific brand you stick to regarding fabric? for example - I love Moda fabrics too. But who can afford to buy designer all the time>>

I like the quality that Kaufman prints on as well. I like Hoffman , Micheal Miller,Timeless Treasures, Red Rooster and many others. Try thousands of Bolts, top names ... not current fabrics but in general nice stuff at resonable for top manufactures.
    For current fabrics at very good prices I shop at Favorite Fabric.com ( a board member here).

Well, I must admit most, like 95%, of the fabric I purchase does come from QS's. I love moda, its one of my favorites, but Thimbleberries is great too. It comes out of the dryer needing little or no ironing. Right now Im working mostly out of my stash, because of prices going up, but I have to say if I like it I buy it.

Blog Entries
    I am partial to Robert Kaufman, Moda, Michael Miller and Free Spirit. I love the feel of these fabrics and the colors. But I use other names as well. It depends if the fabric calls my name or not. My most important criteria is how a fabric feels. If it is too thin, feels scratchy or feels like the weave is not tight, I won't waste my money on it, especially if it is going to get washed a lot like a quilt. I have used thinner fabrics in wallhangings and such. Another criteria I have is that I never pay full price for LQS fabric. I only purchase when on sale or I have a coupon. Fortunately, my favorite LQS has a minimum of 1 sale a month and now has a 50% off coupon that comes out in our "Penny Saver Pages". If I find something I like at the quilt shop and it isn't on sale, I will look for it online to see if I can get it cheaper.
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 02-13-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I like all of the above mentioned lines, but right now I'm having a love affair with Stonehenge line by Northcott.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I like Moda, Kauffman and Fabriquilt.

Gosh yes, I am dying to get this line from Amy Butler, Soul Blossoms, but I can't find it for a great price, and can find some goodish prices. Its true though isn't it - you just can't skimp on the fabric - I've been trying to do it, but its really obvious especially if I'm using some brilliant fabric and some not so great!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I like the quality that Kaufman prints on as well. I like Hoffman , Micheal Miller,Timeless Treasures, Red Rooster and many others. Try thousands of Bolts, top names ... not current fabrics but in general nice stuff at resonable for top manufactures.
    For current fabrics at very good prices I shop at Favorite Fabric.com ( a board member here).
    Thanks for the mention, Lori!

And I agree with you on your choice of best fabrics. Timeless Treasures, Kaufman, and Michael Miller have been very, very consistent over the years - even through the cotton price turmoil of 2011. They never compromised on the quality of the goods they were printing on. Moda is consistent, too, and since November they have started printing their Moda Marbles line on the same 60x60 cloth that their other collections are on. For those of you who didn't know, they used to be printed on a finer, but thinner cloth. So they get a thumbs up from me on this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    I like all of the above mentioned lines, but right now I'm having a love affair with Stonehenge line by Northcott.
    Ditto-absolutely LOVE Stonehenge!! Haven't bought yet, because I want them all and can't narrow it down! Great prices at Thousands of Bolts when they put it on sale. It went on sale for about $6.99 when it first came out. If I had a specific pattern for them, it would help to try and buy only what the pattern calls for - but-------

Stonehenge is really a unique line.
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I like the designer fabrics also. I afford these by shopping with coupons and looking for sales. I do a lot of shopping on line as well as the sale room of my LQS.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I love Westminister Fabs. They do Kaffe Fassett Fabrics. Also, Moda. Sometimes the thin fabrics are silky and yet very strong. I really enjoy using them.

I love Northcott fabrics. They refer to them sometimes as Northcott silk and you can feel the difference. I can pick them out every time just by feeling them. The problem is that I can seldom find them on sale. I'd love to add the entire Stonehenge line to my stash.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

I like all of the brands listed above. Alexander Henry fabric is the one that gets my juices flowing. LOL. Seriously, the designs are so great. When I made a quilt for my GS, I used the "hogs on Harleys" for the back. He loves the back as much as the front.