Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favourite sewing machine and why? >

What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by totosmom
Originally Posted by beebs
I guess I would be doing machine quilting...I really am just starting out..I am at that point where I can't really imagine myself actually quilting(I have moments where I think I'll get a professional to finish the quilts off for me) ... do you think I should just stick with my cheapie machine for now?
Well, does your cheapie machine sew a straight stitch reliably? Machines that don't are just too frustrating to deal with. With my vintage machines, I have no worries about that. And when I wanted to actually quilt the top, they are excellent for straight quilting ( grids, in the ditch, etc). For the bells and whistles, I use the Bernina, but I love, love, love my oldies.

So in the end, if your cheapie sews a great stitch and is reliable, I'd say stick with it ... at least for now.
I agree. If you are just starting, and your machine doesn't make you want to tear your hair out, then it will be fine for awhile. If it makes you never want to use it then get one that will be a pleasure to use. By the time you really need a new one you will know more what you want.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 PM

I use Janome, almost exclusively for stated features:
350e Janome Embroidery Machine
6260 Janome Quilter's Choice with lots of decorative stitches
1600 P Janome for the larger throat plate and super speed
Janome, a simple zig-zag (beginner bought for grandkids when they visit)
A beautifu 1946 Singer that sews beautifully, but I rarely use it, it just looks so cute on display
Grew up in a family of Singer users and owned two myself, but when I got my first Janome I was hooked.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 AM

I love the Bernina machines. I have older models (1998/1999)and they still sew as good as new. I suggest you do some research and compare different brands. Sew on as many different machines as possible. Everybody likes different machines. We all have a machine we love. Everymachine offers something different, so decide what you want in a machine. Look for a machine that is a model specifically for quilters. Tell the shop you are looking for a machine to piece quilts. Buy the machine you feel comfortable sewing on. Buy the best machine you can afford, buy a good brand and it will last you a lifetime. It will give you good stitches everytime.
:thumbup:
Old 08-20-2011, 04:52 AM

I love the Featherweight I bought a few months ago - it sews so beautifully. I don't love my Janome 4800 - great for piecing but a total pain when it comes to quilting, even though it's a "Quilter's edition". I've spent ages researching new machines, but have decided that before I spend silly money on one, I'm going to try another vintage one for quilting, so am waiting for a contact who repairs and restores old machines to find me a Singer 201 or 15-91.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 PM

Omigod - I was looking at some of the suggestions and those newer Janomes and stuff - they look amazing - but they are like $8000!!! I am in shock! Having said that - there is a big sale at the moment here in OZ and I can get it half price - not that I have a spare 4000 at all - but its nice to know that its on sale anyway:):)

I love love the look of the pfaff 4.0....but very pricey as well. I will have to really have to start saving and trying out all the different ones. Think I might join a quilting class!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 AM

Hi Beebs,

Something you could consider...when customers want to trade up to more expensive, more fully featured machines, they often trade in their older machines. The shop owners then clean and recondition the trade-ins and sell them. You might be able to purchase an older, really good machine at a substantial savings.

Ann
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 AM

I have a Janome 6600. Very low maintenance. Lots of stitches for the price. Came with tons of feet. Lots of features...needle up/needle down, thread cutter, needle threader, speed control, knee lift, start/stop button....just feel like I got more bang for my buck!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 AM

You might like to use your machine to start with. I am speaking from personal experience. Making a quilt top can be done on most machines. I had an old Sears machine that did not always hold its tension well. I had decided that I wanted a new machine but was not ready to decide what to buy. I did not try them out and find one that fit both my mother's pocket book (she wanted to buy me a BIG gift) and my desires. I chose a Singer 350. It has lots of embroidery options that I am learning to make my labels with. It uses my computer to store all the embroidery designs. What I wish it had was a little better tech support. I wish I knew someone who had the machine so I could walk thru troubles I meet up with. Tension has been a problem at times as well though I finally learned how to adjust the bobbin's tension which has helped out immensely. I also think you the throat is a good question, but as you start out, you may find that do not like that part as much as th piecing and may decide you would rather have that done by a pro. I would advise you to start with some lap quilts and baby quilts so you get a feel of what you want.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 AM

I have a Bernina 440 QE which is great. I bought it for the stitch regulator. However, what I found is that the BSR is like training wheels, useful at first, but then it holds you back. After awhile, I never used it. I consider this machine my bare bones Cadillac. I now bought a Brother - Laura Ashley Edition. It has all the 440 has - Needle up down, speed adjustment, etc. What it has extra is a larger harp, thread cutter, auto foot up, 9 MM stich width and an awsome threader that really works! and a whole lot more. I consider this my fully loaded Kia. It was expensive, but no where near the price of the Bernina. Will it hold up? I don't know, but so far so good.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 PM

So I've been reading up a bit about the sewing machine I already have - its a very basic Pfaff - a 1132, but it does have a drop feed (so I can quilt on it) and seems to be okay for getting started - its a hobby machine but does say you can quilt with it. So I am going to start on that and then once I build up my confidence then I will look into upgrading! Thanks for all your replies - I have written down all the suggestions! :thumbup: