Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your first quilt memory?

Blog Entries

What is your first quilt memory?

When I was a little girl, our beds were covered with quilts during the winter. They were made from big blocks of wool and tied with crochet thread. After it became too warm in the spring for a quilt, mama would always have us lift the mattress off the bed and layer the quilts on top of the springs for storage. In the late fall when it started to turn colder, we would bring them back out to be used again. What is your first memory of a quilt?
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

When I was little, it was a crazy quilt out of black velvets and satins at the cottage on Drummond Island. It was my favorite for the cool nights. I don't know where it came from. Second one was a wedding ring quilt on my bed when my parents bought me a new bedroom outfit with a four poster bed - still have that quilt. Don't know where my mother got it either. I know neither my mother or grandmother made quilts.

I don't have one Quilts were not well known in South Africa when I was growing up. My first memory of a quilt is as recent as four years ago when I drooled over quilting magazines I bought when I lived in the UK, hoping that one day I would be able to make one for myself. That day came and now I am creating quilting memories for my grand children and other family members
    Rainy days heal the heart so that sunny days can make us smile!

dd
    We had a blue quilt tied with red that we were allowed to play with. We would make a club house under half the ping-pong table. This blue quilt was thick so that was always on the floor. Other blankets were clothespinned to the sides and a trouble light was strung through the brace on the leg. Had a real nice club house.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Neither my mother or my Grandmothers quilted so the first encounter I had with a quilt was when I stopped to visit my Great Aunt Maude on my way driving across the country. She has a GFG she was hand quilting for her granddaughter. That was in the mid 70s. I began quilting in the mid 1980s.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Growing up in Wisconsin, my grandmother always had quilts on the bed. There was no heat upstairs at her house so we had plenty of quilts to stay warm. They were much heavier back then and we had to find our spot in bed before being covered up. Once the quilts went on you could not roll over. I don't remember ever seeing my grandmother quilt but I know she made these as they always had scraps from her dresses and aprons.

Blog Entries
    None until about 5 years ago. Although we all sewed & made our own clothes, no one in my circle of family or friends quilted or even owned a quilt, although I knew what they were. I have more modern likes on décor and I thought they were all made out of floral sprigged calico. I went on a trip with a friend. We were visiting her relatives and they were doing batik quilts. Went to a quilt store with them and that was that!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I was 8 or 9 when I made my first quilt, green and orange blocks in a stairstep design.
    Still love green and orange and purple together.
    I have no idea where that idea came from.
    Fast forward to 19 and a neighbor introduced me to yo-yos, she wanted me to make a pillow for her, and refreshed and reborn in the craft, I've never looked back.

Quilting and my Rob have been the only two constants in my life.

I don't remember! Both of my grandmothers were avid quilters, so I was surrounded by quilts right from the start. I don't know for sure but I imagine I probably came home from the hospital in a quilt.

I remember being really hot (probably fever) when I was pretty small (probably 2-ish) and demanding my "pinkie blankie" because it had a smooth cotton backing that was always cool; I remember pressing my face into it over and over because it was cool and soft and felt good on my hot face. I still have that quilt now but that backing has been replaced, twice!

I remember having heavy quilts on my bed when I was very little and am sorry to say that I have no idea where they have gone, but I do still have a quilt made from cotton squares on the top and flannel backing (no batting) that is used quite a bit yet today. I love the feel of a heavy quilt on me when I am cold and tired....better than a sleeping pill! I don't know who made the quilts, as my mother never quilted and I never had a very close relationship with my grandmothers to know or understand their history. I wish I had been not quite so rebellious when younger....there was so much I wish I had learned from them!

My grandma's puffy tied quilts - they weren't pieced. They were used on beds and we also slept on top of them on the floor when we stayed overnight.

The first pieced quilt I loved was my friend's double wedding ring quilt. Her grandma made it from my friend's outgrown clothing. We were in 4th grade when I saw it and fell in love with it.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    My grandmother had a quilting frame up on the ceiling in the parlor! Never saw it used but she had lots of quilts we slept on and under. Feather beds & quilts always remind me of Grandma!

I remember being with my Grandma Ruth and my Great Grandma Grace, at their quilting bee's, I liked to sit under that huge frame all the ladies sat around and watch how their hands move the needles under the frame. I must have been really young to be able to sit upright under there. LOL

Blog Entries
    My DGM lived on a farm in rural Montana. She made quilts from men's old suits,used a sheep fleece for batting,and tied them with red yarn. When I went to bed,there was no moving about,but I was warm!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Like some of you our bed's were covered with quilts always. But my memory of them was seeing my DM and DGM setting and piecing by hand and setting around a quilting frame. My DGF raised the cotton they used as batting and I remember watching them on their hand and knees combing and getting as many seeds as possible out. I can still remember the smell of a fresh new quilt on my bed.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh both of my grandmothers' houses. My paternal grandmother did some quilting but favorite thing was tatting, knitting and crocheting. She used to make lacy coverlets for the top of her bed. My aunt got those and she still has them. Sadly a tablecloth never survived. Loved to watch her. My maternal did a lot of machine quilting. Her summer quilts were without a middle layer. Her other quilts many quilted by hand and pieced by her machine. She did a few crazy quilts out of clothes. I'm sure many went to one aunt who complained about having nothing all the time. Oh well! Loved spending nights at my grandparents. No one understood why. I got pampered for goodness sake! I am one of the few who was fortunate to know both of my grandparents on both sides. Pampered to me was sitting on their laps and being told stories and just helping with little things. I had a very close relationship with both sides.

We always had a variety of quilts in the house. The first quilt I remember as mine, I was pribably about 6 it was a Dutch doll (now called sun bonnet sue) little floral dressands asked in blue and it was tied with yarn. I'm pretty sure my maternal grandmother made it. I also remember making scrap quilts from fabric sample books cutting the card board off and sewing them together. Mom was an acomplished seamstress that made drapes, bed spreads and slip covers for a living so we always had outdated sample books to play with. I also made arbie cloths and blankets from those books.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My first memory was not your regular quilt. My mother would take old worn out blankets and tie them together with yarn. All the kids (five of us) loved these blankets (quilts). I remember my DGM had quilt tops that my sister took. I don't remember ever seeing my DGM quilting but the tops had to come from somewhere. My husband remembers sitting under the quilt frame watching the needles go in and out of the quilt. He said that sometimes he helped to push the needle. (At least he said he helped.) BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

One on my first memories is playing paper dolls under the quilt my Grandmother and Aunts were hand quilting. My sister and I would play all day under there, listing to family and town stories. lol We didnt like it when they would start rolling the quilt in to the center. Cut down our play space.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    When I was a little girl, our beds were covered with quilts during the winter. They were made from big blocks of wool and tied with crochet thread. After it became too warm in the spring for a quilt, mama would always have us lift the mattress off the bed and layer the quilts on top of the springs for storage. In the late fall when it started to turn colder, we would bring them back out to be used again. What is your first memory of a quilt?
    i had never heard of doing that... what a great idea
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Lived in a very small town when I was about 5 or 6. My girlfriend's grandmother used to have a "bee" when the ladies would gather to quilt on a frame. We used to visit her and sit under it. Nice memories!

When my husband and I were first married we inherited a scrappy quilt his grandmother made. It was yellow & reds and even though it was well used when we got it, I loved it. We used it until it fell apart. His grandmother was always sewing something or doing needlework. She made an AMAZING cathedral windows quilt by hand. That was about 27 years ago. No one in my family quilted until I started about 3 years ago. My great grandmother did make lace (crochet?) that she put on pillowcases that we always had around when I was quite young.

Blog Entries
    *** My 1st memory of quilts was when my Mother
    *** sewed 4 crib sized together to make a bigger
    *** one for the bed my sister and I slept in together.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

There were no quilters or quilts in my childhood... so the first ones I remember are the primitive ones I made my kids when they were little, before I knew what I was doing. They were made with love.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My first memory of a quilt was about the age of 8. My mom and aunt were sitting at this big box of wads of wool. They sat with these paddle-looking things with lots of needles attached to one of the flat sides. They said that they were combing the wool for ladies to make new quilts for our new house which was being built. My sister and I took turns combing the wool. The next thing I remember was going the house of the women who had made the quilts. Both were whole-cloth and hand quilted in beautiful designs. I have no idea what happened to the quilts, but I remember sleeping under the pretty blue plaid. The other was solid pink polished cotton.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast