Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM

my long arm quilter said that she was told that the manufactures make a trial run with cheaper quality to see what quilters like and put that in walmart and hancock, etc and then make better quality for quilt shops. You can find some good quality fabric and the other stores but you have to look. I have used from all but like I said you have to look carefully before buying
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM

they used to have decent fabric for projects but now it seems it is really weird fabric, very thin, not suitable for anything i can think of.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by athenascooter View Post
my long arm quilter said that she was told that the manufactures make a trial run with cheaper quality to see what quilters like and put that in walmart and hancock, etc and then make better quality for quilt shops. You can find some good quality fabric and the other stores but you have to look. I have used from all but like I said you have to look carefully before buying
I've never heard that from any of my shop's sales reps... but there's nothing to keep Wal-Mart or Hancocks from looking at the LQS fabrics and asking a fabric company to make a similar design just for them. And the designers do "jump ship" from one manufacturer to another. Susan Winget used to design for Benartex and now does lines for Springs Industries that JoAnn Fabrics carries. Likewise, April Cornell, who used to design for Moda, has created exclusive lines for JoAnns. There isn't a Hancock's near me, so I really don't know what they have these days.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
bjg

Quality is definitely not what you find in your quilt shop. Wouldn't use it for a special quilt I was hoping to be an heirloom. However it is good for lots of things. If that is the best you can afford ,use it with pleasure but be sure to check the markdown shelves and sales at the quilt shop. Also, a lot of wonderful things have been made from outgrown or wornout clothes. A quilt made with love is a lot more than the fabric selection.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 AM

WalMart used to carry some 1st quality AE Nathan and a few minor brands. Can't think of the names, but 1 used to print the Kari Pearson fabrics and other novelties. Umm- Cranston! Last Fall the only local WalMart with fabric was severely shrunk and moved to the rear of the store. Almost all the trims, patterns, and threads are gone, and the remaining fabric is no better than coarse cheesecloth. Good thing I have a stash, because $12 - $14 at the LQS just isn't possible for me. For backings I'll have to use the internet- if I ever get around to actually finishing anything!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM

I have 4 walmarts. one is 15 minutes away 2 are 45 minutes and the other is nearly an hour away. All have different problems. Danville Va. has some great fabric but you can never get someone to cut it for you. Rockymount Va. has mostly 4th quality if that good. Lynchburg Va. has some good stuff but you have to hunt for it and wait an hour to get it cut. And Altavista Va. has only just gotten some fabric in but the yarn and notions were pretty good.
It just depends on the management and what you need, how long you have to hunt for it, and your budget.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM

I have bought quite a bit at walmart and so far no complaints. recently they had a nice feature.
There was a tear off pad of a quilt with directions. Right below it were all the bolts of fabric featured in the quilt. priced below $5. a yd I got the set and the fabric seems to be fine. I think you should just check what you are buying. Like the one lady said, it is not a specialty store. Our walmart is a new super one and they did keep the fabric area. Usually the lady is right there. Have only had to call once. Friendly and does not mind when I say, "please move the end over a little to account for the crooked cut" smile I guess each store is a bit different. I have to shop where I can afford.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM

After reading other posts here, I guess the tear off pad was a "quilt of the month" thing. Nothing saying that. Also they have some really pretty prints. I just kind of get dreamy looking at it when I go and cannot afford any more fabric for a while. Like others say....it depends on which walmart you go to.....
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM

My WM kept their fabric but relocated it in the store. The dept. is smaller but the choices are about the same, some good, some so-so. Help is still the same and has been there for years. Super ice and helpful. Very busy location since most of the stores in this area closed our their fabric. Now they're bringing it back.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM

I just wish I had a local Walmart that carries fabric. After fabric was taken out of the Walmarts, this one did not get fabric back in the store. They have thread, sewing machines, needles and lots of other sewing supplies. So I have to drive onto "the mainland" to get fabric. Some of Walmarts' fabric is ok, but you have to check it for flaws. Sometimes when it is being cut. There is such a difference in price! Walmarts' fabric has gone up to $5.96/yd, but is no where near the $12/yd!