Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 AM

I don't use the WM fabrics for my quilts, unless it's just a piece I need for an applique' or something like that. I used to work for a quilt shop and there is all the difference in the world in the quality. The prints and even the manufacturer may be the same, but it's not first runs...it may be 3rd ot 5th runs, which means the quality of the fabric itself is closer to the ends of the bolts. As with threads...the black and really dark colors are the lower qulities because they have been overdyed and overdyed ( this means they have been boiled way too many times which makes them less durable and sometimes "fuzzy". ) If you do buy WM fabrics, you probably should wash them well and then check for shrinkage and also for color loss....everytime they get washed the colors get less bright and crip.
This is just my opinion of course, but do keep this in mind. As for places like Hancocks and JoAnns...some of their fabrics are like this as well...they usually get the 2nd or 3rd runs of fabrics...seldom the first runs. Your best quality fabrics will normally come from your LQS....this is why they usually cost more and feel better.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 AM

The Walmart I visit, had a large fabric dept, then they downsized. A sad time. They never got rid of it, or the cutting table. They have added another aisle, sewing machines, thread, cutting boards. Some nice fabric, nothing I am looking for at present. They have fat quarters 97 cents. Some other fabric bundled up, with a pattern you can make from it. There is someone in the dept at all times. The dept has improved a bit since it had downsized.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Having worked in the fabric department at my local Walmart..The quality of the fabric sometimes depends on what the department manager orders. Some managers are not allowed to even order for their department, so have no controll over what is ordered. I have made many "forever quilts" out of Walmart fabric. You just have to know what to look for and chose the better line. LQS, Joann's, Hancock's and any other fabric store you care to name has 'crap' if you are not careful. Sorry to 'go off', but got so tired of hearing about the quality of Walmart fabric from customers, but who came in when the new shipments came in, YEP, the nay sayers. Now..really hope all of you have a great day and enjoy buying your fabric anywhere you can get good stuff and a great deal. "-}
Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 AM

I have bought name brand fabrics from Wal Mart that washed beautifully. They run a few cents more then their cheap fabric but well worth what they charge. If you're doing an heirloom quilt you may prefer your quilt shop but I won't be here in 50 years to see how they hold up so I really don't care.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 AM

From what I have seen no two Walmarts are the same when it come to fabric. Some have some decient fabrics, others nothing but thin low quality. Read the manufacture on the end of the bolt. If you are not familiar with manufactures , carry a piece of good quality fabric with you, and compare the thickness and feel difference.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
ro
Banned

I believe you get what you pay for. The $5 isnt bad. The $1.50 fabric reminds me of sheets that are old, worn and ready for garbage. If you are taking time to make something, then you want it to last at least the years end. I myself like to support our local fabric shop. The quality is there. Yes, sometimes you pay a higher price. But to me, my time and effort is worth something. If I can't afford fabric this week or month, then I'll just wait a little longer until I can. I'd rather have the quality.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Some fabric was good, some very thin. I guess it depends on what your doing with it! Take my DGD and she picks some out for her horses and dolls, so that doesn't matter much, but if for a special project more picky when looking.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Ours used to have some hit or miss fabrics, you just had to hunt for the better quality. But they removed the department and replaced it with precuts.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM

My opinion is that they should bring fabrics back to my local Walmart!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM

I don't like Walmart quilting fabric. They do carry denims and other fabrics that I sometimes buy depending on the project at the time.