Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opion of the machines like the cricut? >

What is your opion of the machines like the cricut?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM

I know there is one for paper and one for fabric. There is also another brand out there, not sure what the name is.

I understand that they do cut very well and the blades don't have to be replaced very often.

What are the pro's and con's on this?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM

I don't know any of the pros or cons, just my own opinion. I've spent a fortune already on rotary cutters, mats, and rulers, so could not possibly justify a machine like that. I'll just have to keep cutting my block pieces the regular way.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

The Cricut is more oriented to scrapbooking. These can do a lot of custom shapes, but just one at a time.

The Accuquilt (Go! and Studio) are more oriented to quilting. These are die cutters that allow you to cut 4 to 10 layers of fabric at a time in the shape you have selected.

There is also an Alto Quiltcut which is basically a sophisticated ruler setup for cutting with a rotary cutter.

I have an Accuquilt Go! and really like it for certain things -- especially triangles, because with the corners nipped they are very easy to cut and sew accurately. Also like the strip cutters, although I can probably do these at least as fast with a rotary cutter and Shape Cutter ruler.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:54 AM

I just got an Accuquilt and it is nice.The strip cutter is saving me from bending over a table to rottery cut and it saves my back and my hands from hurting.I wont buy all the dies because I wont need them.I wanted triangles so they will be accurate.It will save me lots of time.
The Criccut is mostly for scrap booking.The make a new one for cake designing.Too many crafts for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Always check to see what dies are available for the machine you want. Most are for scrapbooking shapes. The Go and Studio have the dies for quilt shapes and are made for cutting fabric.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM

I have the personal cricut, the one just smaller than the expression. I love it for scrapbooking, cardmaking, but I can't get over the price of cartridges (for new shapes, etc). They have gone from $45 to $60! Once in a while you can pick up one with designs I've never been interested in for $40 (usually at Hobby Lobby). Since I'be begun quilting, it sits in the cupboard. LOL!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The Cricut is more oriented to scrapbooking. These can do a lot of custom shapes, but just one at a time.
Actually the Cricut can cut more than 1 shape at a time - well you can cut more than 1 on the same paper if you set it to do say 3 or 4 but yes it cuts 1 at a time. It is more oriented towards scrapbooking. I have one and love it but for scrapbooking, not quilting. ;)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
I have the personal cricut, the one just smaller than the expression. I love it for scrapbooking, cardmaking, but I can't get over the price of cartridges (for new shapes, etc). They have gone from $45 to $60! Once in a while you can pick up one with designs I've never been interested in for $40 (usually at Hobby Lobby). Since I'be begun quilting, it sits in the cupboard. LOL!
I just recently learned Amazon has great prices on the cartridges and since I have issues with both large "chain" stores in the area; Amazon may be getting my business when it comes to the Cricut ;)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM

I have the BigShot by Sizzix. GREAT machine and I understand it can be used for fabric though I've never used it for that. I use it for my scrapbooking/rubberstamping/cardmaking.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Have you tried www.craft-e-corner.com for cartridges. They have good prices and sales. They do not charge shipping and handling ever. Just bought some for $26 each.